Young Adult Fiction 214
engaging YA fantasy
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
THE ENCANTO'S DAUGHTER is an engaging and fast-paced YA fantasy read. MJ has been on the run for as long as she can remember, but her time is running out as her father's world of magic encantos, Biringan, has caught up to her. Her father is dead, which means it is time for her to ascend to the throne, and there are insurgent factions who want anything but that to happen. As she travels into this magical world, she will need to complete classes to learn some of the things she has missed about the kingdom she is to rule, work towards her coronation, and deal with the politics of her classmates and other rulers.

MJ soon learns that as a hapcanto, meaning that she is half-human and half-encanto, she faces a lot of prejudice and some bullying. On top of that and adjusting to a new world, she also needs to figure out what her magical ability is stat - she will need to demonstrate it to ascend to the throne in a very short time. As she navigates those challenges, she soon begins to suspect that her father's death had suspicious causes, and her best ally in the investigation is Lucas, who is very attractive but attached to her rival. MJ will need to keep her wits about her as she works toward making it to the coronation alive.

What I loved: This was such an engaging and charming YA fantasy that will work well for younger YA readers as well as older ones. MJ is a compelling character who is trying to do her best, while still a teen and learning. Having been on the run with her mother in the human world, she has learned how to adapt - but she doesn't have the background to fully grasp the politics and prejudices of Biringan. Quick on her feet, she definitely needs to keep her wits about her, as she has enemies popping up at every turn, who don't want her to take the throne - with some unknown factions who are more deadly about it.

The plot moves quickly, and the reader learns about this world as MJ does. With the mystery of her father's death (and another one that comes up during the story), the challenges of school, and new friendships and romance, there is a lot to keep the reader hooked into the story. The pages turn quickly and will keep readers on their toes as they try to figure out how MJ will make it - from normal teenage problems to those only royalty could face.

Themes around prejudice, betrayal/trust, trafficking, and family make this a thought-provoking read. There is also some light romance with a touch of enemies-to-lovers, close proximity, and a fake kiss to hide (that turns real). The romance felt sudden, but it was a sweet one that will hopefully continue to be developed in the next book. MJ and other characters definitely felt like teens and will resonate with YA readers.

The end does have a small cliffhanger, although some major plot points were resolved, so readers will be eagerly awaiting the next installment.

Final verdict: THE ENCANTO'S DAUGHTER is a thrilling and consuming YA fantasy that pulls the reader into a world of magic.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
March 13, 2024
i want to share my amazing experience with Dr Jumba my husband was cheating on me and when i found out we had a fight which lead to him filling for a divorce i cried and fell sick when i was searching about love quotes online i saw people talking about him and his great work whose case was similar to mine they left his contact info i contacted him and he told me not to worry that after 24hrs he will cancel the divorce and be back to me after i did everything he asked me to do to my greatest surprise the next day evening it was my husband, he knelt down begging me to accept him back,thank you once again Dr Jumba you are indeed a blessing to me he can also help you contact
[email protected] or https://drjumbaspellhome.wordpress.com . +1 908 517 4108
V
verababyj
1 results - showing 1 - 1