Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
This was a sweet, fun, heartbreaking story all wrapped into one. I felt a plethora of emotions along with Brie while reading this book: sadness, happiness, anger, frustration, sympathy, hope, and love. While the topics at hand were fairly serious, and at times sad, the author integrated just enough sarcasm and humor to keep the story from being too dark. While I was frustrated with Brie’s need for revenge, she was a very likable character that I was able to connect with. Patrick was the perfect mysterious “Lost Soul” (a.k.a swoon-worthy guy). I especially loved the dialogue between Patrick and Brie, as well as all the cheese themed nicknames he came up with for her.

*(As a side note, Brie’s faithful Basset Hound Hamloaf, was my favorite character!)

Something else that I LOVED about this book was that each chapter title was taken from a well known song. At the end of the ARC (I’m sure it will be in the finished copy too) was a list of all the songs and artists used as titles. This just added a fun element to the book.

I was very impressed by the fact that the author was able to surprise me. I assumed this would be a predictable, yet enjoyable, read. There were, however, two different parts of the story that I didn’t see coming. This element of surprise is what transformed this from a good book to a fantastic one!

This story provided me with a great romance, as well as some things to think about. It really causes you think about grief, revenge, consequences to your actions,the power of friendship, and the importance of family. I highly recommend this debut, and cannot wait to read other things from Jess Rothenburg in the future!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account