Review Detail

Kids Indie 1980
Romani culture and recycling
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Janie and her family of Travelers live in a caravan. Their neighbor, and her grandfather's oldest friend, Mrs. Tolen, is very supportive of Janie, and shares story about when she was an engineer. After Mrs. Tolen falls and ends up in the hospital, her caravan is inspected and found in need of many repairs. Janie wants to help, but Mrs. Tolen warns her against spending any money to fix up the old trailer; she'll go live somewhere else after she heals. When her class visits an aluminum can recycling facitly, Janie gets a great idea-- maybe her neighbors and friends could help collect cans and work together to use their skills to renovate Mrs. Tolen's caravan! With her grandfather and mother supervising, the caravan is stripped down, then built back up to be a warm and welcoming home that is 100 perrcent up to code. Inspectors make sure it's okay, and allow Janie and her network of helpers to surprise Mrs. Tolen. Mrs. Tolen is glad to be able to stay in her home, and Janie is glad to have her friend still nearby.
Good Points
Readers in the US may not be as familiar with Romani culture in the UK, but this is a great introduction. Early on in the book, there is a glossary of some Romani terms that are used. We learn that Travellers (Romani) have been recycling for century, and see how their communities work together to help each other.

I loved the focus on recycling, and the end of the book has a two page spread detailing the process by which aluminum cans are recyled. I hadn't thought about the fact that the ink would need to be removed; that's a good reason for beverage manufacturers to limit the amount of colors on their cans!

I can't say that I've seen any picture book (or even middle grade, for that matter) coverage of Romani culture, and I don't know if there are many Travellers in the US. I've not seen any coverage in the news in my area, and haven't had any students with this cultural background. It was great to learn a little bit about Janie and her family. There are a growing number of picture books about environmental and recycling issues, so this is a great addition to books like Smith's My Must-Have Mom, Pham-Bournwens DIY Afternoon: Recycling, and Lloyd's It's Up to Us.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

8 results - showing 1 - 8
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
November 16, 2022
i want to share to the whole world how Dr Kachi the Great of all the Spell Caster, that helped me reunite my marriage back, my Ex Husband broke up with me 3months ago, I have been trying to get him back ever since then, i was worried and so confused because i love him so much. I was really going too much depressed, he left me with my kids and just ignored me constantly. I have begged him for forgiveness through text messages for him to come back home and the kids crying and miss their dad but he wont reply, I wanted him back desperately. we were in a very good couple and yet he just ignores me and get on with his life just like that, so i was looking for help after reading a post of Dr Kachi on the internet when i saw a lady name SHARRON testified that Dr Kachi cast a Pure love spell to stop divorce. and i also met with other, it was about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 24 hours at the end of her testimony she dropped his email, I contacted Dr Kachi via email and explained my problem to Dr Kachi and he told me what went wrong with my husband and how it happen, that he will restored my marriage back, and to my greatest surprise my Ex husband came back to me, and he apologized for his mistake, and for the pain he caused me and my children. Then from that day our marriage is now stronger than how it was before, Dr Kachi you're a real spell caster, you can also get your Ex back and live with him happily: Contact Email: [email protected] his Number CALL/ WHATSAPP: +1 (209) 893-8075 Visit his Website: https://drkachispellcast.wixsite.com/my-site
J
julianadavis877
June 21, 2023
If there is anyone that I trust and believe in is Dr Amber. His like an Angel sent from the heavens to rescue us from the captivity of hardship. My Heart is filled with Joy and Happiness after Dr Amber made me win $1 million dollars with the numbers he provided for me. His winning numbers changed my life into Riches and now, I am out of debts and living the best life that I wanted for myself. You Can Contact Him For Your Own Lottery Number Because This Is The Only Secret To Win The Lottery. He is very reliable. Call, text or WhatsApp +1 409 241 8060 or email: [email protected]
I
istack402
August 24, 2023
i won the lottery and then people kept on asking me how did i do it, well yea there is a little secrete you all never knew about, i was able to win the $20.000.000 lottery with the help of Dr Victory lottery winning spell, he gave me number to play and instructed me when to play the lottery and i did as he instructed, my dear friends getting rich is never by luck it's something we all have to work for, people have been playing same lottery for years now and have never won, we need to be on the right track to get what we want i am saying this here because i want the best for everyone, you can't win the lottery just like that you need to know exactly what to do, what to play and when to play. This is a truth that no one will never tell you, if you want to win or know what i am talking about just reach out to Dr Victory here:
Email: [email protected]
Call/Whatsapp number: +16692093663
M
MarianLugard
August 24, 2023
Now You Can Stop Your Break Up, Divorce or Lovers Rejection… Even If Your Situation Seems Hopeless! My husband said he no longer loved me at the end of January this year and i was hurt and heart broken i felt like my life was about to end and I almost committed suicide, I was emotionally down for a very long time. Thanks to a spell caster called DR HUNTERS ALVIN, which I meet online, on one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet and I came across a lot of testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb, cure cancer and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. I also come across one particular testimony and it was about a woman called Tracey Hilton, she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 2 days and at the end of her testimony she dropped DR HUNTERS ALVIN mail address. After reading all these,I decided to give it a try and I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 48 hours, my husband came back to me and we solved our issues, we are even happier than before. DR HUNTERS ALVIN is really a gifted man and I will not stop testifying about him because he is a wonderful man and so powerful... If you have any problem and you are looking for solution to solve all your problems. Great DR HUNTERS ALVIN can also offer any types of help like Reuniting of marriage and relationship, Curing of all types of Diseases, Court Cases, Pregnancy Spell, Spiritual protection,winning of lottery and lot's more. you can contact him on Email: [email protected] OR [email protected] .... YOU CAN USE ANY OF THE EMAILS....... YOU CAN ALSO ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP USING THIS MOBILE NUMBER:+2347059232579, if you have any problem contact him, I give you 100% guarantee that he will help you.
H
hunteralvin
August 24, 2023
Read Up My Story Today as my story is a very special and unique one as is not like the numerous advert you always see online and also I want to be 100% sincere and truthful to you that there can never be any other online spell caster that can help you bring back your EX BACK to you other than DR HUNTER ALVIN as he alone is 100% effective,dynamic and very reliable as 99.9% of other spell casters are not for real and can never help you solve your problems at all instead they will complicate your present condition OK SO BE WISE AND ALSO BE WARNED AND CONTACT DR HUNTER ALVIN TODAY... MY OWN LIFE STORY / EXPERIENCES IS BELOW:

My Name is Mark Kelvin, From USA. I wish to share my testimonies with the general public about what this man called Dr HUNTER ALVIN has just done for me , this man has just brought back my lost Ex WIFE to me with his great spell, I was married to this woman called Sharon we were together for a long time and we loved our self’s but when I was unable to make her pregnant for me and also give her al she needs she left me and told me she can’t continue anymore then I was now looking for ways to get her back until a friend of mine told me about this man and gave his contact email: [email protected] OR [email protected] .... YOU CAN USE ANY OF THE EMAILS TO CONTACT HIM as you won't believe this when I contacted this man on my problems he prepared this spell cast and bring my lost WIFE back, and after a month she became pregnant for me because he gave me some herbs to take also and when she went for a test and the result stated that she was pregnant am happy today am a FATHER of a baby girl, thank you once again the great DR HUNTER ALVIN for what you have done for me, if you are out there passing through any of this problems listed below:

(1) If you want your ex back.
(2) if you always have bad dreams.
(3) You want to be promoted in your office.
(4) You want women/men to run after you.
(5) If you want a child/PREGNANCY SPELL.
(6) You want to be rich.
(7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be
yours forever.
(8) If you need financial assistance.
(9) How you been scammed and you want to recover you lost money.
(10)Stop Divorce
(11) CURE TO ALL KIND OF SICKNESS/DISEASES HERE
(12) Winning of lottery
(13) Cure To Hiv/Aids
(14) LOTTERY/LOTTO SPELL WINNING
(15) CURE TO HERPES AND ANY OTHER SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES AT ALL...
(16) HAVE YOU BEEN SCAMMED BEFORE AND NEEDS TO RECOVER ALL THE DOLLARS/MONEY YOU LOST TO THESE FRAUDSTER ???.. CONTACT HUNTER ALVIN AS HE HELPED MY FRIEND CALLED LEONARD CAPTAIN FROM USA TO RECOVER BACK THE SUM OF $300,000.00 DOLLARS HE LOST TO SCAMMERS ONLINE

Email: [email protected] OR [email protected] .... YOU CAN USE ANY OF THE EMAILS TO CONTACT HIM ...... YOU CAN ALSO CALL / ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP USING THIS MOBILE NUMBER:+2347059232579
H
hunteralvin
August 24, 2023
GREAT ILLUMINATI TEMPLE Of MONEY AND POWER,
JOIN THE ILLUMINATI : [email protected] OR [email protected] .... YOU CAN USE ANY OF THE EMAILS TO CONTACT HIM OR YOU CAN ALSO CALL / ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP USING THIS MOBILE NUMBER:+2347059232579

Are you a business man or woman, political, musician, student,
the you want to be rich, famous, powerful in life, join the Illuminati brotherhood cult today and get instant rich sum of. 1million dollars
in a week, and a free home. any where you choose to live in this world and also get 10,000,000 U.S dollars monthly as a salary...

A Cash Reward of USD $1,000,000.00 USD
A New Sleek Dream CAR valued at USD $300,000 USD
A Dream House bought in the country of your own choice
One Month holiday (fully paid) to your dream tourist destination.
One year Golf Membership package
A V.I.P treatment in all Airports in the World
A total Lifestyle change
Access to Bohemian Grove
Monthly payment of $1,000,000 USD into your bank account every month as a member
One Month booked Appointment with Top 5 world Leaders and Top 5 Celebrities in the World.

If you are interested e-mail info to: [email protected] OR [email protected] .... YOU CAN USE ANY OF THE EMAILS TO CONTACT HIM OR YOU CAN ALSO CALL / ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP USING THIS MOBILE NUMBER: +2347059232579 for immediately initiation.New members registration is now open online...YOU CAN ALSO CALL / ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP USING THIS MOBILE NUMBER:+2347059232579
H
hunteralvin
August 24, 2023
I am Elizabeth Diesta by name and I have been playing euro million for many years now and i have never won anything instead I wasted money in buying ticket, on one faithful day, I saw some guys that also play euro million, I heard them discussing how they won 2.8million dollars with the help of DR. HUNTER ALVIN I now went where they were seating discussing it, on getting there I excuse one of the guys and asked him about the DR HUNTER ALVIN that helped them won 2.8million dollars, he told me everything about DR.HUNTER ALVIN and he went further to tell me how he has been helping them and I said within my mind that i'm going to give him a trial although I doubted him and I really contacted him and it worked out for me and I won the sum of 2,000,000 dollars,right now i'm very happy for the good work he has done for me and I promised to share his good work to the whole world, I want to use the opportunity to tell everyone that need his help to contact him on this email: [email protected] OR [email protected] .... YOU CAN USE ANY OF THE EMAILS TO CONTACT HIM .... This man will make you rich and his powers are so powerful... CONTACT HIM NOW: [email protected] OR [email protected] .... YOU CAN USE ANY OF THE EMAILS TO CONTACT HIM...YOU CAN ALSO CALL / ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP USING THIS MOBILE NUMBER:+2347059232579
H
hunteralvin
September 06, 2023
My husband and I have been married for about 7 yrs now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy, and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing another Woman outside our marriage. He started coming home late from work, he hardly cares about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing the Internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr Victory can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships, and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he did a spell for me. Three days later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promised never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned to normal. My family is living together happily again. All thanks to Dr Victory. If you need a spell caster that can cast a spell that truly works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. This is his contact address.
Email: [email protected]
Call/Whatsapp number: +16692093663
F
FloraGreenwood
8 results - showing 1 - 8