Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
First Impressions: I’ve always loved the old fables ever since I was a kid, even though most of them aren’t really meant for children in my opinion! I was terrified of wolves when I was younger partially from reading Little Red Riding Hood. Today, I love my spin-offs. I am total spin-off junkie. I was familiar with Jackson Pearce from reading Sisters Red, which I completely loved. So, I was excited to have the chance to read Sweetly which is based off of Hansel and Gretel. Hansel and Gretel is a really gruesome and twisted story if you ever get to read the original version of it, so I was very interested to see how this author would handle this story and make it her own.

First 50 Pages: Wow, I’ve been reading a ton of great books lately and I knew from the start that I wouldn’t be able to put this book back down. The first chapter alone held me to the edge of my seat when the author was describing what had happened to the twin of Gretchen and the sister to Ansel. Specifically, how the witch in the woods took her, which plays a key role throughout the rest of the book.

Style of Writing & Plot Points: I’ve always liked the way Jackson Pearce formulates her stories. She is a very talented writing when it comes to keeping the suspense going. I never felt bored when I was reading this book. Everything kept me guessing right up until the very end. I thought I had everything figured out about halfway through the book and once I finished I realized I really didn’t have anything figured out at all. That is why I really like this author.

With that being said, I think the characters in Sweetly are better done then they were in Sisters Red. This time around, they had more depth and I especially liked the character Gretchen. You just feel so bad for her throughout the book and it is hard not to like her. Gretchen transforms from a scared little girl to a woman who is capable of controlling her fears and reacting to intense situations. I like strong female characters in books instead of having a character that has to rely on a man to save her. In the end, Gretchen becomes that kind of character, making me like her even more.

The romance in this book is below par for my taste, but the action in this book makes up for that. I just didn’t see the chemistry between either of the couples and I thought their relationships were a bit shallow and unnecessary.

I will admit I wasn’t too impressed with the explanation of the disappearances of the girls from Live Oak. There is a twist to the ending of the story that I don’t want to give away in my review, but I’ll just say that I think it could have been done much better.

Final Thoughts: Even though Sweetly had a few disappointing moments and flaws, I still really enjoyed this version of Hansel and Gretel. It has a few surprising twists and turns that I didn’t see coming and I love how it has modernized the tale. Jackson did a good job with this one, and each with each book she comes out with I can see her growth as a writer. I’m looking forward to her next release!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account