Review Detail

Middle Grade Non-Fiction 270
In Your Face!
Overall rating

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Learning Value

Want to be blown away? Just read Sports Illustrated Kid’s 3D Sports Blast, by author and 3D Photographer, David E. Klutho.

I think it’s fair to say that 3D Sports Blast is more than a book, it’s an experience. It begins with Klutho posing in a cowboy-ish setting with a trusty double-barreled 3D camera at his side, ready for action. I loved this shot, especially since I never knew what a 3D camera looked like, and didn't even know there was such a thing. So as you can imagine, I appreciate his inclusion of several historic 3D cameras that deliver stereoscopic (solid) imagery, and explain that just as humans need two eyes that view the world from slightly different points-of-view to produce the 3D effect, so do 3D cameras .

From there, 3D Sports Blast is page after eye-popping page of cool 3D sports pics sure to be the talk of any locker room. There are lovely 3D pictures of BMX bikers in space; up close and personal 3D shots of pro golfers swinging with all their might as the sand flies dangerously close to your delicate eyeballs; and basketball greats tussling for the ball (which, by the way, looks as if you can pluck it right out of the air and make the shot yourself!). There are rodeo shots of thick, muscular bulls tossing their unfortunate riders onto the ground and into their next headache (and tail-ache, too). You’ll see kayakers doing their thing, skate-boarders sailing through the air, and stand-up paddling pros surfing so fast they quickly close the gap between your space and theirs. And the really cool thing? The book doesn’t just feature old pros, it pairs them with young up-and-coming competitors who fashion their own performances after their heroes.

The book itself is over-sized to bring you shocking, in-your-face photography. It’s lightweight and not too clunky, and is presented in a format that reminds you of a collection of prime photography...in 3D, of course.

This one is truly a collector’s item. Trust me, it’ll be really cool to own!
Good Points
The content keeps you turning the page even if you aren't a sports nut.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account

Latest Additions