Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I've been waiting forever to share my thoughts on this one, guys. I read it back in January because...how could I not? It's a Pride and Prejudice retelling...WITH SPIES. (Side Note: I was going through super early posts yesterday and...I didn't like Pride and Prejudice retellings when I started blogging. Can you BELIEVE that?)

So, let's start with Berry. Can we talk about how super badass she is? One of the earlier descriptions of the book pitched this book as Veronica Mars meets Pride and Prejudice and it's SUPER accurate. Berry and Veronica are really similar in levels of awesome. If I had to name a book that had characters and a general feel that reminded me most of Veronica, this would be it.

I also adored Tanner from the get go. But most of you have seen me review enough Pride and Prejudice retellings to know that I ALWAYS love the Darcy character. Always. Without fail. But Tanner was really sweet and had an epic back story that put his characterization into perspective. It all genuinely made sense.

Of course, I absolutely adored the plot. It had it's own mystery-spin on the traditional Pride and Prejudice. This was an added element from the usual misunderstandings and class differences that are prevalent in pretty much every Pride and Prejudice remake. I mean, it was obviously in this one as well, but there was something more to it. As much as I always love my retellings and movies and various ways of telling P&P, sometimes it's nice to add a twist I haven't seen before.

Talia is also just a great writer. I was really engaged in the story and I didn't want to end. I'm kind of crossing my fingers that she'll write other Austen retellings or retellings of SOMETHING. Or even just more contemporary. She tells a fantastic story that's fun with a very serious undertone and she really made a classic her own. I think she could do a really fantastic job retelling other stories I love as well.

Basically, you guys should all be picking up this book today or this week and then joining me in my plea for more contemporary/retellings from Talia as well as more books that feel like Veronica Mars and come with the added bonus of a Darcy-like character.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account