Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
The people of Alban are afraid. The tyrannical king and his masked Enforcers are scouring the land, burning villages and enslaving the canny. Fifteen-year-old Neryn has fled her home in the wake of its destruction, and is alone and penniless, hiding her extraordinary magical power. She can rely on no one- not even the elusive Good Folk who challenge and bewilder her with their words.

When an enigmatic stranger saves her life, Neryn and the young man called Flint begin an uneasy journey (parts of it anyway) together. She wants to trust Flint but how can she tell who is true in this land of evil? For Neryn has heard whispers of a mysterious place far away: a place where rebels are amassing to free the land and end the king's reign.

A place called Shadowfell.

I really enjoyed this book, it was a true work of magic. What confused me was that the author said that Neryn has a canny skill, but then it says the Good Folk are uncanny. I didn't really get that, but doesn't matter, its not that important.
I thought that Neryn's gift was pretty well thought out, and the rhymes that came with it:

"Canny Eyes and Strength of Stillness
Guide your path across the land
Open Heart and Steadfast Purpose
Flame of Courage, Giving Hand.

To you lost, your slain, your broken
Grant forgiveness, set them free.
Rise in strength, in truth and honour
Live for Alban's liberty."

I thought it was just the right words for its purpose, and it described Neryn's gift perfectly. I really like the second verse, it sounds so flowing.

The characters were great, and so was the plot. But what I didn't think was great was the relationship between Flint and Neryn. In the ned, everything was resolved, but if Neryn thought that Flint was lying, why did she keep trusting him over and over again. It didn't quite fit, it was just so strange and awkward for me as the reader.

I really loved this book, and it is an enchanting work of fantasy.
Good Points
-Neryn's gift. Most powerful gifts are mega dangerous, but hers seems more calm, and connecting, and the rhymes that come with this are pretty well done.
-I love the Good Folk, especially Sorrel and Sage, they were cute and powerful.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account