Young Adult Fiction 2110
Emotionally Powerful
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I loved the flashback scenes; they flowed so seamlessly with the rest of the story. I enjoyed that we got to see/experience Ro and Miller's past, rather than be told what happened way back when.

Ro is this deeply complex character. She's an uber smart STEM young woman who creates this fun, future predicting app with almost 100% accuracy.
Miller is the little boy, now young man, who feels so deeply. I loved him from the beginning!
O'Clover shows us that Ro & Miller's relationship started off almost symbiotic in a way. Ro was this little girl who didn't know how to feel or experience things, so she learned her social/emotional cues from Miller, from learning to walk to what to fear.

I would have loved, loved, loved there have been more build up to their no longer fake relationship. To me, there just wasn't enough to bridge the gap that quickly. It was total animosity (on Miller's part) on second then absolute love declarations the next.

I love YA books because they usually have some of the most powerful and raw emotions, SPoRD was no different.
There are brief mention of SA and coping with that, as well as parental abandonment.
I got chocked up a few times with my heart hammering and my stomach dropping. Tissues may be needed.

Seven Percent of Ro Devereux was a delightful debut novel. I cannot wait to see more from Ellen O'Clover!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account