Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 287
Rich Adventure You Don't Want to Miss Out On!
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Roar is an adventurous, richly imaginative tale bursting with magic, friendship, and loyalty. Roar is an action packed adventure full of fantasy, magic, and romance. In it we follow princess Aurora as she tries to make herself into someone she is not. Her lack of powers not only scares her, but she allows it to define her until her betrothed pushes her over the edge and she finally takes her future into her own hands by joining storm hunters. She runs away from her home and her arranged marriage to journey with storm hunters and change into a girl named Roar. Her adventure is filled with newfound knowledge and loyalty as she struggles to balance the life she had with the life she now leads. She missed out on so much, nothing will ever be the same again.

What made this book so enjoyable for me was the storms. They are magic but they are alive and the hearts hunters take for power are essentially the hearts of people. Each storm acts in a different way, a way that connects to an emotion. The author brilliantly combines the two so that we question how we didn't figure it out ourselves. The rich world and descriptions never fail to captivate your attention! The world has a lot of potential and I would love to read more about it in the next book! It was brilliant, especially in terms of the storms and how each has a soul. I adored every minute that allowed me to learn more!

As for characters, Roar is a strong, brave girl who has a lot of potential. In the beginning she let her fear lead her and that not only made her miserable, but it allowed others to take advantage of her. The amount of growth that occurred in the duration of her adventure with the storm hunters is enjoyable to read about. And like all good characters, she has her flaws. She could be mildly annoying as well as selfish at times. I found her overall to be brave, reckless, and also selfish. All she could think about was how she can't marry that horrible man and she must gain power for then she won't need to even if she returns. She leaves her mother at the mercy of those horrible men, and a good friend to the dungeons. While traveling with the hunters she causes many distractions and somehow she finds love. She is a great character full of wit and stubborn strength, but she never thought things through and didn't care for consequences.

Locke was very kind and compassionate at first, before he knew she wanted to join up with them and throw herself into danger. He constantly gave her chances to leave and when that didn't work he tried his best to show her that she was not making a good choice. However he doesn't know her true identity or her actual intentions, so he never really understands her motivation and dedication. He tries his best to protect her and along the way, his reason for doing so changes.

The romance with Cassius made my heart beat a little faster. Such a dark, brutal man, and yet he was gentle and caring with her before he even really knew her. We see constantly throughout the book how much he has come to care for her, however that doesn't seem to change his plans. Locke on the other hand was jealous, rude, and possessive when he wasn't ignoring her or passionately making out because he actually really does care and that scares him. The romance has the potential to grow in the next book.

Overall, Roar is an adventurous tale full of mystery and magic. It is definitely worth a try!
Good Points
Good character growth and world building
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account