Overall rating

Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Learning Value

N/A
In one word: Poignant.

For anyone that does not like to approach nonfiction should give Persepolis a chance. It's an interesting look into Iranian culture during the Iranian Revolution. In this edition of Persepolis, the young Marji learns many lessons about life and her culture. She has a unique family situation, so she is raised a bit differently than her peers. Her life experiences and observations help show an outsider what it was like growing up in Iran during this time.

I will admit, I do not know much about the Iranian Revolution or Iraq's invasion of Iran in the 1970s. That was way before my time and I was just a kid in the 1980s. Needless to say, this story was fascinating for me. I was instantly engrossed with what was happening around Marji and within the walls of her home.

Like all graphic novels, there are many details left out. As a reader, you were left filling in the gaps with what was happening outside of her home. Since she was a young child during this time, the information is shared in the perspective of a young child. The adults in her life were the real enlightenment.

I loved the author's humor. Information was given, but it was sprinkled with a kind of wit and insight that made me connect instantly with what was being shared. I could not put this book down, and I consider it a must read.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account

Latest Additions