Review Detail

4.0 3
Young Adult Fiction 251
The book should be pressed into the hands of everyone who loves a great fantasy novel
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Wow, this book blew me away. I had heard good things about it, but I have heard good things about books I didn’t enjoy, so I went into this book not knowing if I was going to like it or be disappointed. I fell in love with it partway through the first chapter. This book was a lovely mixture of The Night Circus and a depression-era American circus - a compelling combination of wonderous fantasy and brutal reality.

What I loved most about the book is that it features an intersexed main character. In fact, I think that this is the first intersexed main character in a fantasy book ever. It was a character that was so well written and researched that this character never felt like it was a coarse stereotype. Micah/Gene was so wonderfully brought to life that I have nothing but praise for Lam. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Also, the cast of other characters featured characters that were gay, bisexual and straight – all of them being more than their sexual orientation.

Also, I liked that the book didn’t have a big GAY CHARACTERS WITHIN blurb. I have nothing against that, but I want unsuspecting straight readers to pick up books that have LGBT characters and not purposely avoid them. I think, well okay, I hope that we are beyond a time when readers need to be warned that they may be exposed to the GAY. However, I do agree with the criticisms about the blurb that make it sound like it romance between Gene & Micah.

However, the blurb isn’t the book and the book is wonderous and rich and should be pressed into the hands of everyone who loves a great fantasy novel. If these people are part of your family, this would make an excellent Xmas gift, especially when the sequel Shadowplay is being released in January. Speaking of the sequel, who do I need to beg for an advanced copy as I’m not sure I can wait until January.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account