Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
This Gothic tale wraps around you and doesn't let go. The whole premise of a handsome Lord being trapped inside a painting is intriguing. I loved the style of writing which made me feel as if I was following Miss Natalie Stewart through the bustle of New York City in 1880. This story has it all: suspense, magic, and even romance. And did I mention a very hot, English Lord?

From the very beginning I wanted to know the secrets behind the mysterious painting. Hieber shows readers the time period in all its lush glory with the 1880 version of Gossip Girls to the squatter of 5 points where murders happen. Natalie, though mute, isn't dumb. She's passionate and also not afraid to reach out to the trapped Lord Denbury even if this means she might be put away in an asylum.

A huge plus of this story has to be the writing which is true to the time period. Throw in a mysterious painting and a hot Lord, what's not to like. There's also a Jekyll and Mr. Hyde twist where a Lord Denbury lookalike leads Natalie to the worse part of New York City on her search to figure out the clues left on the painting and also to stop a string of murders.

The clues on how to release Lord Denbury are layered throughout the tale without being predictable. I also loved seeing a glimpse of the world in 1880 and how Natalie refused to let social norms not hold her back.

The romance builds slowly and is totally believable. Who wouldn't want to have a hot Lord desire them?

I couldn't put this story down. I love a good paranormal tale and especially historical ones. I can't wait to read more!
Good Points
1. Intriguing premise
2. Love the gothic feel to story
3. Romance/suspense/paranormal elements that work together
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account