Review Detail

4.5 3
Young Adult Fiction 217
Starred Review From School Library Journal, January, 2012
Gr 8 Up–After bumping into her husband with his boyfriend at the grocery store, Marcie’s mother decides to stay at the family’s summer home in New Hampshire rather than return to Idaho with him. The teen’s life is turned upside-down; she has to start over at a new school away from her friends, The Leftovers, and from her “emo-sensitive rocker” boyfriend. Things start looking up when she meets a good-looking jock who brings her breakfast and takes her to the homecoming dance. Then, when she seems to be settling in, her severely depressed mother thinks she will be better off in Boise, and Marcie is whisked back to her old life, where she comes to understand her father better and questions her relationship with her boyfriend. Told in verse, the story takes a realistic look at the emotional roller coaster that is first love. Marcie doesn’t always make sensible decisions, and she hurts her boyfriend and alienates her friends, but her actions are believable. The Leftovers are an easily relatable crowd: a poetic rock-star wannabe, a manga-drawing tattooed best friend, a geeky swimmer, and a cheerful Girl Scout, to name a few. The author does a terrific job of keeping the plot moving by using poetry to her advantage. Reluctant readers will appreciate the brevity while poetic souls will appreciate the format.
–Kimberly Castle-Alberts, Stark County District Library, Canton, OH
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
February 19, 2012
I was just looking for this book this weekend. It's not at my local B & N, nor in my library system, but I am determined to find it because I've heard such great things.
1 results - showing 1 - 1