Writing Style

N/A
Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I went into this book with a pretty vague idea of what it was about-a sci-fi novel revolving around a medieval Biodome community. When I started reading I realized that the Biodome community was started by a group of LARPers who wanted to take their "game" much more seriously... and their children have been raised under the laws and regulations of this community. Naturally, the story really gets going when these worlds start to... intermingle. ;)

Legacy is told from multiple perspectives and one of the things I truly enjoyed was the fact that when you're reading as Willow-or Leaf-the writing is more elegant, more metaphorical. When it switches to Fillion it's much more relaxed, sarcastic, maybe even a bit more spontaneous. It gave a really great voice to these characters but also really showcased Jesikah's ability to transport you to both worlds within her story-the tech/anime outside world and the frozen-in-the-past Biodome community.

I also loved the contrast in her characters. The sarcastic and sassy hacker that is Fillion is worlds away from the beautifully emotional and grounded Willow, and yet they're both amazing characters.

The only thing I think might be a negative factor to the reader is the world building-but unfortunately most first-in-a-series novels have a lot of world building. As someone who really enjoys world building, it only further drew me into the story and I thought it was all meshed into the story well.

Definitely recommend, we need more wonderful female sci-fi authors in our libraries.
Good Points
Jesikah's writing voice truly shines and she transports you between her worlds. Lovely characters and a fantastic plot.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account