Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
First of all, I thought the cover has this sort of simple beauty to it. At first I thought it may be something like Alice in Wonderland because of the red liquid on the rose. I seriously didn't look like blood, so I automatically assumed it was paint of some sort. [insert very un-ladylike snort] I was so off.

Kill Me Softly is a mishmash of all sorts of fairy tales with the ugly bits left in. If you watched the Disney movies instead of reading the original fairy tales, you probably don't know that, say, for example the mermaid didn't get the prince and was instead forced to commit suicide. Or that Cinderella's step-sisters cut of parts of their feet in an attempt to fit into the glass slipper. Creepy, but for some reason I think I like those versions better. More real, with gruesome sacrifices mixed in.

Honestly, I want to thank Sarah Cross so much for shining a spotlight on little-known fairy tales, like Bluebeard.

Mira, the protagonist, was nicely written, although a bit more information about her past would be interesting. She was just a little predictable, always returning to Felix, doing what the fairy tale requires of her, but I thought that Sarah Cross made her predictability work very well. And there's the Valentine brothers, Felix and Blue. I was very pleased with the usage of foreshadowing with Felix and Blue's hair. Y'know, blue hair, Bluebeard? Nevermind. Felix was a tad too perfect for my taste, and I kind of didn't get how Mira just fell in love. Yes, they talked, Felix was a perfect gentleman, but there was nothing substantial in it. If anyone could feel like that slimy dude that tries to pick a chick up before the hero swoops in, it's Felix. Lastly, Blue. He's so much more real than Felix. He shared his happiness, sadness, desperation, and pain with Mira, and didn't give her the princess treatment. He took her places, introduced friends to her, and kept her at arm's length with a very good, bot nonetheless tragic reason. Although Blue hid so many truths from Mira, he as a whole seemed true, and honest in a way by letting her take a few glimpses into his world.

With the secondary characters, you can actually see how their curses affect their lives, and gives off an idea of how it'll happen. They're all amazingly alive ticking time bombs.

As a conclusion, I've not much to say but I am in LOVE with Kill Me Softly, and hope you liked/will like it, too.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account