Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Josh Anvil #2 is a fun and fast-paced action adventure set just after the first book - Josh Anvil and the Cypress Door - ends. Themes which came through clearly in the first book are present and developed: the importance of friends and family being paramount amongst these, and the depth of Josh's friendship with Troy is clearly demonstrated and tested as events sweep them away in this book.

Josh is rapidly immersed in a series of challenging and life-threatening events as he goes in search of Anton's family, and finds out about the alien plans for humanity, which are less than conducive to his or anyone else's health or continued existence. One rescue mission quickly leads to another; the portal to Earth is in danger of being closed, tensions rise. The author develops Josh's character throughout as he responds to the mantle of power that has been thrust upon him.

All that is good. However, as I read the first and second books of this series close together, it was disappointing to me that some of the elements which made the first story so enjoyable were not as apparent in this second book. The quirkiness is abandoned (apart from some fun with t-shirts and alien diapers) in favour of an action-driven storyline. Crisis situations began to come and go every other chapter. While it was a wild ride at first, after a while as a reader I began to feel a little punch-drunk. I found myself wishing that swift dose of this or that power would not resolve things for Josh. The plot felt rushed and unnecessarily compressed. The different worlds became indistinguishable in my imagination.

So for fun and action I'd give this story 4.5 stars, but I felt the nature of the plot held the story back from reaching its true potential. 4 stars overall, recommended. I look forward to whatever is next for Josh Anvil in this exciting series!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account