Young Adult Fiction 666
fun, summery YA contemporary
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I LIKE ME BETTER is an engaging YA contemporary about finding your way. Zack has just finished his junior year and is on track to become the captain of his soccer team, especially since the current captain, Ryan, has taken him under his wing. Ryan is getting ready to go to a prestigious college on a sports scholarship - but he pulled a prank on their rival team that is about to get him into trouble and might put his college plans in jeopardy. Ryan plans to ask one of the juniors on the team to take the fall for him, but Zack doesn't want it to ruin that guy's summer, so he decides to take the fall for it. Zack is assigned to community service for the summer - at least until Ryan comes clean about who actually did the prank.

Meanwhile, Zack is working with the team to keep them in shape and ready for the upcoming charity match. However, being the potential captain is tougher than he imagined when everyone has mixed feelings about his leadership potential (the vote will come after the match) and feels all sorts of ways about the prank. To make things more complicated, he's got a crush on a rising junior, Chip, who is also Ryan's cousin and his bad opinions of Ryan are extending to Zack. Zack is determined to show Chip who he is while they volunteer at the same place over the summer - but without revealing Ryan's secret, something that becomes more complicated as the summer progresses and Zack begins to realize who Ryan actually is.

This was a great story about finding your own path and coming into your own. Zack has been shaped by the people around him and an abundant desire to people please. In fact, part of his dedication to soccer is because of the way his divorced parents have treated it. However, trying to keep Ryan and his teammates happy is really complicated as he is taking the fall for something he had no part in. The summer is one of change for him as he begins to take stock of what is important, what type of leader he wants to be, and what matters most to him personally.

The romance was slow and definitely felt more background, but it was great to see them together as they get to know one another - and work towards environmental change. It is through the process of meeting that Zack begins to take stock of who he is and who he wants to be. Chip seemed like a really sweet guy who has his stuff together - even if his family would prefer he focus on athletics. He is dedicated to making a change and leaving the world a better place. I also really appreciated how little drama there was around their relationship - Zack's teammates and their families were fully accepting of the possibility throughout, which is always nice to see. The drama really revolved around the looming captain vote and the lie about the prank.

The lie feels quite drawn out at times, and it can be a bit of a source of frustration, but Zack really has to make the decision for himself about how he will handle it. The middle of the book felt a bit long in places with some feelings of spinning the tires. That being said, I did enjoy the story and stuck with it to see how it would turn out.

Overall, I LIKE ME BETTER is a fun summer YA contemporary about deciding who you will be and going after it.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account