Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I read this and remember thinking it wasn’t that good. But then, after I’d finished it, I Am the Messenger started to grow on me. In retrospect, it was fantastic, a five-star read. So naturally, I had to re-read, because the memory I had of Zusak’s writing didn’t match up with my current opinion.

In short, I like this book A LOT. I like it better than Zusak’s more popular novel, The Book Thief, and I like it a lot more after a second reading.

Beyond Zusak’s brilliant style itself, which I absolutely love to death, there’s the plot itself. Now, I do admit that it’s a bit incredible, that Ed is a bit unbelievable, but if you’re willing to go past that, the end result is amazing. The plot, the story, the characters, the humor—all perfect. I could gush for days.

Like The Book Thief, this book starts off a bit slow and is harder to get into. And like The Book Thief, there is a moment towards the end when you just fall into the book and lose yourself. But with I Am the Messenger, that lost feeling is stronger, you’re more into it, and when you get to the completely brilliant end scene, you don’t want the book to be over. I honestly got a funny feeling in my stomach for the last fifty pages or so, and I know that sounds corny, but I did.

Also, as I mentioned, there’s Zusak’s writing. Gorgeous imagery and personification out the wazoo. Great use of fragments and paragraph breaks. Yeah, I’m sold.

One of my favorite books, better after a second read, and definitely better than ever-popular The Book Thief.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account