Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I'm not sure I can accurately express how much I adored Myra McEntire's Hourglass. It's one of those books I'll be happy to read over again, and I can't wait to see how Myra fleshes out the rest of the series.

Here are just a few of the reasons why I wouldn't mind snuggling up to Hourglass again and again:

Emerson - Even though Em knows martial arts and has a tough skin due to her past, she's not afraid to be a girl. It seems (at least to me) a lot of stereotypical kick-butt heroines shun makeup, dressing up, or anything deemed "girly," as though those things would make them less tough. But not Em. I found it refreshing that she was comfortable in her own skin, comfortable being feminine, and comfortable kicking some butt along the way.

Em's bff, Lily - Thank you, Myra McEntire, for ditching the cliched "ugly" or overweight best friend who's really only there to serve as comedic relief. Lily has her own life outside being Em's bestie, which makes her character all the more believable. And another refreshing reason to love Lily and Em's relationship? They don't spend their time quibbling over boys. They have real, meaningful conversations. They love each other and have stuck by each other through the worst of times. I came out loving Lily just as much as Em does.

Michael - He's not your token YA bad boy. He's an amazing friend, mature, intelligent, and loyal to the core. He doesn't for one second feel entitled to Em or act obsessive over her. His relationship with Em is an unconventional one, to say the least, but there's a reason for everything he says and does. Trust me. Just keep reading!

Em's family - Through it all, Em's brother, Thomas, and sister-in-law, Dru, have stuck by her. They believe in her and are committed to doing whatever it takes to help Em lead a normal life. Em couldn't have a better support group, and I loved immersing myself in their healthy, hilarious, and at times heart-breaking family dynamic.

Simplicity - Yes, Hourglass is a sci-fi, time travel novel (with a bit of paranormal and romance mixed in), but you don't have to have a degree in quantum physics to understand how Em's world works. McEntire takes actual scientific theory and explains it in a way that's both easy to grasp and fun to explore. Hourglass isn't just for sci-fi or time travel fans.

Southern wit - I've read too many novels set in the South that focus so much on the culture and the sayings that it just feels fake. I start to wonder, has this author ever even been to the South? But Myra McEntire is a true Southern girl, which makes Em's voice authentic and addictive. And the humor! If not for anything else, pick this book up for the wit. I found myself laughing out loud throughout the entire novel, as well as shedding a few tears.

The voice - McEntire's writing voice is effortless to read. From the very first hook, she holds readers safely in her grasp so we can just sit back and enjoy the ride. No tripping over awkward prose, no going back to reread paragraphs. In fact, you might want to have some caffeine ready if you start this one late in the day. Plan on staying up until it's finished!

I can't recommend Hourglass enough. It's clean, fun, deep, witty, and downright charming. When you mix humor, spunk, and Southern attitude with unexpected twists and turns, electric characters, and hot romance, you know you've got a hit.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 7 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account