Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
When I saw the summary for this book, I was totally expecting it to be lighthearted and funny, but it isn't. It took me a few chapters to get really into the story, but once I did, I was hooked. I enjoyed the alternating POV's and that it sheds a positive light on Native Americans. It also shows the long held negative attitudes and stereotypes from both sides of the coin and neither is very flattering.

Fred is a great role model for both girls as well as Native Americans, and I liked that she wants more for herself than what's usually expected of the people living on the Rez. Even her own mother doesn't expect Fred to do anything more than waitress after she graduates but her Dad is different. He's always encouraged Fred, knowing her only outlet is golf and that she's really good at it. When she gets the opportunity to play on the boys' team, he leaves the choice up to her even if it concerns him. Everyone she knows warns her about the white boys but Fred refuses to give up even when things get ugly and dangerous for her.

Ryan is a stereotypical spoiled rich kid who's used to having everything handed to him but as Fred learns, things aren't always as they seem. He struggles with anger issues and finds escape in partying it up with his BFF Seth and sometimes girlfriend, Gwyneth but it's obvious he's miserable. Golf is his only source of happiness, or so he thinks, until Fred comes along and turns his life inside out.

They challenge each other not only on the golf course but off as well, and together they might even be able to break down social barriers if Ryan can keep from screwing it all up.

I liked that Ryan is given the chance to redeem himself, however, I felt like his anger and family issues that seemed so prominent in the beginning were never fully explained. I also would've liked to have seen a little more of Fred and Ryan's story, which is not to say I didn't enjoy the ending, because I did, it just seemed a little short to me.

Good Points
The cover is what "hooked" me into reading this story at first.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account