Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
“You can’t feel bad every second, I wanted to tell her. Laughing doesn’t make bad things worse any more than crying makes them better. It doesn’t mean you don’t care, or that you’ve forgotten. It just means you’re human.”

I must say this, I liked Hollow City better than I liked Miss Peregrine's Home for peculiar children. It was more action packed and the characters’ personalities had more depth. In the first book the peculiars felt like an amusing and quirky background to Jacob’s angsty teenage life. And we’ve had enough of that already. I enjoyed Enoch's sarcasm (and his love for London, of course!) and Emma’s badassery and Bronwyn maternal instinct. I enjoyed how smart and resourceful Millard is and how Hugh’s power has come in handy in many desperate situations despite its unlikeness. I enjoyed the new additions to the group and I hope we’ll have more of them in the next book. Still Jacob failed to find his way into my heart. I don’t know why. I believe he’s too egocentric and I don’t enjoy his point of view at all. Olive, I just wish she didn’t act so childish all the time. I know that technically she is one but… oh for god’s sake, my patience has its limits, you know? Finally the romance... I just want to rip my eyes out everytime it is mentioned. Sorry guys, I really cannot stand it!

“Everything depended on a pigeon.”

Plot-wise the story starts from where it ended in Miss Peregrine’s Home and it is basically a road trip but it had its twists and interesting additions so I enjoyed the ride. It didn’t blow me away that’s for sure but I’m ready to forgive how lame I found the first book.

The pictures though were nothing special. At least in the first one they had that creepiness that made this series so appealing. In this one we mainly had pictures of landscapes. And that's a shame.

"Esme can't... do anything?" I asked.
"I can count backward from one hundred in a duck voice." Esme volunteered through her sniffles, and then began to demonstrate, quacking "One hundred, ninety-nine, ninety-eight..."

Esme, the truest peculiar of them all!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account