Review Detail

1.8 2
Young Adult Fiction 216
Angels and demons, love and romance, Halo has it all!
(Updated: February 28, 2012)
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I went to the library for another book but the cover of "Halo", which is absolutely beautiful, caught my eye and I decided to check it out as well. I read this book in a matter of hours and thoroughly enjoyed it! I couldn't put it down.

Seeing the world through the main character, Bethany's eyes, who is an angel sent from Heaven to fulfill a purpose along with her siblings, Gabriel (yes, THAT Gabriel) and Ivy, was funny, heartwarming and at times heartbreaking. The reactions to Gabriel's presence from the females in the town was hilarious at times and I enjoyed the witty banter between he and Xavier. Ivy gets similar reactions from the young males in town and this works to her advantage in her efforts to raise awareness of social issues like poverty, elder care, feeding the hungry, etc.

Xavier was my favorite character. His honesty, loyalty, vulnerability, kindness and bravery are things to be admired but his willingness to forgive and be forgiven are what I liked most. He's also easy on the eyes. *swoons*

I know "Halo" hasn't gotten the best reviews which kind of surprised me, but then I realized why...it's not dark. I actually found it to be a breath of fresh air from some of the other books I've read recently. There are still the elements of good vs. evil, family, loyalty, friendship and of course the ill-fated love story but Adornetto presents it in such a way that it doesn't leave the reader feeling slightly depressed at the end. There was only one scene that I would take issue with and I question the ability of two teenagers, who put willingly put themselves in those circumstances to be able to exercise THAT much self control, angel or not.

The only negative thing I found with this book was when I realized it must be part of a trilogy or series and what happens to Bethany, Xavier, Gabriel & Ivy wasn't going to be determined by the last page - how frustrating! In a good way though. :)
Good Points
She says on her website, "The main difference between Halo and other novels is that my books don’t have dark and negative themes. I wanted to convey a story of hope, love and redemption. I think there is enough darkness in the world without having to read about it in books! " Alexandra Adornetto
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account