Reader reviewed by TheBookworm

Absorbed My Attention

Graceling

By Kristin Cashore

Pub. Date: October 2008

4 out of 5 stars

PG-13 Violence, Profanity, and Sexual Content

Recommended

Endowed with a Grace of Killing, Katsa lives in a lonely, secluded world. Both feared and revered by most, she is the Kings deadly, perfect weapon. Yet she wont let the Kings ruthless content stop her from doing what is right. Everything is going according to plan until a mysterious Prince, Graced with Fighting, arrives at the castle. Katsas conflicting feelings and his breathtaking eyes cloud her thoughts. Though, while the Prince seems likeable, her senses are on high alert. Will this man, with the striking features and easygoing personality, be the downfall of Katsa and all she stands for and believes?

While reading, Graceling absorbed my attention.

I found the main character, Katsa, pretty likeable& most of the time. I dont agree with all of her decisions morally, so she isnt my favorite character. She did have some really wonderful moments though. The one extraordinary character was Princess Bitterblue. Not only was Bitterblue mature, wholesome, and good, she also brought out the best in Katsa. Katsas compassion and humanity grew into much more stable and visible elements while with Bitterblue. They both improved, physically and mentally, during their time together.

The book flowed with an urgent undercurrent that pulled me under while I oohed and aahed. I was glued to the plot, until about the last third of the book. The big showdown between good and evil was lacking terribly and left me unsatisfied. Then it slowed down to a snails crawl that irritated me. The parts that I loved beforehand began to blur by the disappointment of the ending.

Overall, I found Graceling a pretty, good book that was just lacking in a few scenes.

I believe this book will appeal more to high school girls. Its not suitable for people 13 and under. If this book sounds interesting to a guy, go for it but I would also like to suggest The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima and Rangers Apprentice series by John Flanagan. These books are great and I believe guys will be able to enjoy them more because of the fact that the books narrators are guys, not a girl like in Graceling.

Date Reviewed: March 6th, 2009

For more book reviews and book information check out my blog at www.inthecurrent.blogspot.com

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account