Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Have you ever had a love-hate relationship with a book that left you so confused you really didn't know what you think about it? Well, that is me with Gorgeous.

On the one hand I hated this book with a passion. I almost stopped reading it because it irked me on so many levels. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what I did not like, so I'll just list them.

1. The language used by the supporting character/best friend. I get her personality. I could actually picture her better than the main characters, but her use of certain phrases did not sit well with me.

2. The plot was straight forward and obvious. I saw every twist and turn for miles. I might as well be a cyborg because I was cruising on auto-pilot the whole time while reading. I know this isn't necessarily a bad thing because sometimes we want a "beach read" but I was really expecting something more. When you add my mild boredom to my other issues, it put me over the edge.

3. This book's sense of schizophrenia. It didn't know what genre it really wanted to be in. Was it a fairytale like book, a contemporary romance, or something else all together? Wish I knew! I'm still trying to figure that out.

4. The main character. Simply put, she was boring. The author spent a lot of time describing the other characters and bringing them to life, but Becky never managed to feel real.

I know it seems like I am bashing Gorgeous into the ground, but it had a redeeming value. I understand the message the author was trying to get across. Yes, it was reached in a very frustrating way, but the intentions were good. Inner beauty is more important than outward beauty, and Becky eventually learns that. Unfortunately though, having a strong final 20 pages does not make up for the other problems.

I can say, though, that the characters were very witty. I found myself laughing and giving a wry smile because I could hear the sarcasm. The dialogue was certainly well written and believable.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account