Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I'll be honest, the name "Melissa De La Cruz" and the golden dragon grabbed my attention. I thought the cover was pretty stunning, and I'm a complete cover snob. I do judge a book by its cover.

Frozen is a bit tricky to categorize. It has sci-fi elements, but magic is certainly at the heart of this story. Nat has magic, and she lives in a world with mysterious magical creatures. They may not be out in the open, but they are there. I thought there was great potential in this story, but it fell flat for me.

A lot of time went in to developing the setting. It was different, but it never clicked with me. It was obvious that this new world is not kind to those with magic, but I never got a clear sense of the danger they were in until the end. Even then it was a little cloudy.

Nat and Wes are okay. Honestly, the way they are written and the way they interact with one another (and others) made me think they were much older. I was shocked to discover (towards the end) how young they were. That really messed this book up for me. All the talk about love and whatever crap you can throw into a book to make teenage girls get all swoony really lost its value when I discovered these characters are barely legal driving age.

Then there is the ending. Bah. That's all I'm going to say. I know it will be a series; the ending left that wide open. But I can promise you I won't be reading it.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account