Review Detail

4.0 2
Young Adult Fiction 236
A pleasantly surprising good read that I devoured.
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I Loved: I loved this strange desert world and its cast of characters. I haven’t read anything like it was the setting was refreshing. I loved Jayden in particular though because she’s just a good person. She’s cares so much for her family, despite them not really thinking about her at all. They’re not bad people, I just felt like she deserved more from them. I really respected Jayden for caring and loving her baby sister so much, giving up everything she could for her and never letting her go. I also respected how she didn’t adhere to the norm and followed her heart even though it causes trouble. She’s definitely the heart and soul of the book and a very strong heroine. I’m excited to see how she grows and faces all her challenges as the series progresses. The romance was also well done. The feelings were a bit on the instant side, but the relationship was a slow-build, so it worked out perfectly.

Left Me Wanting More: I didn’t necessarily see the appeal of Jayden’s tribe as a whole. A lot of the other families aren’t all that nice and I couldn’t see why Jayden’s family, particularly her father, was so loyal to them. I also couldn’t understand why they just straight up left them to fend for themselves while they journeyed to another location in the beginning. I also feel like there was a lot going on in this book that, I guess, sets up the scene for the rest of the series, but it felt like too much at times.

Final Verdict: I would highly recommend this book for someone looking for a historical fiction read with a forbidden romance. I didn’t expect to like it so much, which was great. I’m definitely looking forward to checking out the rest of the series.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account