Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 272
A Unique Retelling
This book was nothing like I expected, but I still enjoyed it.

Jackson Pearce wrote two really interesting main characters. Both Lo and Celia are nothing like other characters I've read. Lo was always a back and forth, sometimes Lo and sometimes her former self. Celia is trying to learn how to be one person instead of a part of a team of three. I liked Lo and Celia and found their voices to be very distinct.

As usual for Jackson's fairytale retellings, this was unapologetically dark. It was twisted and although I knew this wouldn't be a Disney story, it went places I wouldn't have imagined. I really liked the part Jude played in the book, as well. That really added to it, I think.

Jackson's writing was interesting, as usual. I didn't think it was going to be a dual perspective and I didn't think Lo would be...like Lo, so it's a bit different from the norm. Jackson's a good, solid writer. Her descriptions were really in depth and let me picture the locations really well. I could really feel the atmosphere of the story.

Despite all the good, I just didn't click with this story. Like I said, it wasn't what I expected. While it was a pretty quick read, something oddly fun to read at the beach, Fathomless isn't a super memorable book for me. It's just another book I read.

If you're a fan of Jackson Pearce's work or really different fairy tale retellings, definitely pick this one up. It'll probably go better for you than it did for me.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account