Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Previously published on my blog: http://fictionfervor.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/review-falling-under-by-gwen-hayes/

I really wasn’t expecting to love this at all. I have very low standards of paranormal romances (curse you, Twilight! *shakes fist*), so I was a bit surprised to find that I liked Falling Under. Even it was only a little bit.

I don’t think I ever connected with Theia; I wished she had been nicer to her overprotective father and tried to reason with him instead of rebelling at times. I also don’t understand why she had to be British in the first place. She didn’t seem to have any quirky British attributes (well, either that or British people don’t eat fish and chips in real life), and it only served to add to her nonexistent background.

On a positive note, though, I liked her friends. Donny was wild and entertaining, and Amelia was sweet and innocent–at least, in how boys thought. Gabe was probably my favorite character, though I thought he was quite a sneetch in the beginning too, haha. And Varnie is adorable when he’s pining after a certain someone.

Haden was quite the typical hot YA boy. No fun in that at all. But I did admit that I liked reading from his point of view at times; it showed his sweeter (and more clueless) side, which I liked infinitely more than his devilish side. I don’t think I was convinced with his and Theia’s romance because it seemed to happen too suddenly–that’s quite unrealistic.

I’ll admit that I wasn’t exactly expecting the paranormal aspect in this book; I wasn’t sure what he was, and I certainly didn’t expect the twist that resulted in changing to Haden’s POV. But I liked it. It made it less Twilight-esque.

Ah, yes, this book was quite Twilight-esque. New boy goes to school, and girl thinks that he might be something other than human. So she sticks her nose in his business and along the way they fall in love. Or they fell in love at first sight. Something like that. Seriously, it was so Twilight-esque that there was even a Twilight reference in there (pg. 59).

Falling Under admittedly wasn’t my favorite; it was an average paranormal romance, in my opinion. However, it did surprise me (slightly) at some points. If you’re bored and you’ve got nothing else to read, this might be the book to read.

Source: Paperback borrowed from library
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account