N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I Loved:

This is a fast-paced, action-packed story that still delivers plenty of heart. As a huge fan of the show Supernatural, I really loved the world-building in this book. Plenty of obscure preternatural creatures, enough lore/explanation naturally seeded into the narrative to make the reader feel grounded in the world, and a nice balance between telling the reader what's going on and showing.

I really loved the main character, Kali. She's strong and heroic, but also lonely and uncertain about herself when she's human. She's lost her mother, has the bare pretense of a relationship with her father, and keeps to herself at school. I really enjoyed seeing her emotional journey as she made a few friends, learned how to see her father in a new light, and most importantly, realized what she valued about herself as a human AND as a preternatural hunter.

The pacing is superb. I was constantly eager to turn the page to see what would happen next, but I also felt fully satisfied with the inner conflict and emotional arcs.

The supporting cast of characters are well done. I felt connected to Kali's new friends enough to be able to see them clearly, and I cared about the outcome for more than just the main character.

What Left Me Wanting More:

The initial flashbacks didn't quite work for me. I had a hard time seeing what was going on, and it felt like an abrupt break from the narrative and then an equally abrupt dumping of the reader back into the narrative. I also felt like the big reveal at the story's climax needed a bit more information (we needed to see a few more specific scenes from Kali's early life that would lend weight to it) because it was momentous but happened so fast, the reader doesn't really have time to process it and understand how it truly affects Kali.

Final Verdict:

EVERY OTHER DAY is a fast-paced thrill ride with plenty of heart and shouldn't be missed by fans of paranormal, romance, and thrillers.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
February 03, 2013
I just read Nobody by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, and it was my first book by her. I'll definitely check this one out!
1 results - showing 1 - 1