Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What a fun paranormal romp this was! Paranormal has been a bit overdone recently, although, to be honest, I still love it (when it's done creatively). Barnes has taken the paranormal craze and given it an alternative history twist, which I think is pretty fantastic. In this world, Darwin discovered a hydra when he went sailing on the Beagle, which let the paranormal cat out of the proverbial bag. All of this is humorously similar to the beginning of the divergence in Leviathan.

Kali is awesome. For one thing, she's one tough chick. Despite being rather closed off, she's not a total jerk to everyone either. She has a sense of humor and does the best she knows how to with the cards she's been dealt. Plus, she's part Indian. It's nice having heroines that come from different cultures.

Every Other Day would probably be a good book for boys too, if you could get them to look past the fact that it sounds like a chick book. The book is primarily composed of action scenes. Many hell hounds and zombies are slaughtered within its pages. As I mentioned, Kali's hardcore.

Plus, there's not really any romance. This is the point that separates the book from the bulk of YA fare aimed at girls, especially when it's paranormal. Although there is some suggested romance, nothing happens. I appreciated that, because I don't think there was anyone who worked for her just yet. Besides, it's nice to see a book step out of the standard formula and dare to be different.

The ending totally left a sequel a possibility, although I don't know that one is intended. It would be probably have to be targeted more to adults, but I, for one, would love to get more of Kali's story. Think about it, Jennifer Lynn Barnes!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account