Writing Style

N/A
Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
In Patrick Hodge's second book, Ethan's Secret we get to go back to the world of Joshua's Island for an entirely new story.
Within the first few chapters, I really enjoyed the way Kelsey and Ethan's stories began to unfold, but my initial thoughts were, I liked Joshua's Island better. As the story progressed, and I realized just how different this book was shaping up to be, I changed my mind. I loved it just as much as Joshua's Island but for very different reasons.
The author could have easily gone the same route to tell the same story with new characters, tacking an equally difficult issue. And to be honest, that's kinda what I was expecting and anticipating. Boy was I wrong! The plot twists kept me guessing and the last third of the book kept me up late because I just had to finish.
Once again, Patrick Hodges tackles some tough issues that all teens face during those awful middle school years and he shows us, through his remarkable (and remarkably adorable) cast of characters, how to overcome those issues. I absolutely love the way this author brings closure to his character's lives and their stories. Not many books culminate with such a satisfying ending. Hodges' books can stand alone, but they also cross over as a successful series, and that takes an incredible amount of talent to accomplish.
In the end, Ethan's secret felt much more like fiction than Joshua's Island, which you can tell was deeply inspired by the author's own experiences. That did not take away from my enjoyment of the book, but the emotional level was not the same. Still, a very enjoyable, entertaining read that will keep you guessing. I'm looking forward to the next one, hoping we'll get to see more familiar faces.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account