Featured
Young Adult Fiction 336
Enlightened by Sachi Ediriweera Review
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

One thing about living in the United States is the plethora of culture that has been brought to us. It makes me want to know more about other cultures, religions, and other aspects that is foreign to me. This thirst of knowledge I feel like is inspired by every day living and seeing all of the different influences around us. When I had the opportunity to read Enlightened, I jumped at the chance. My knowledge of Buddhism is very limited, especially how it originated as well. This graphic novel was beautifully created and gave a simplistic version of how Buddhism came to be. I thought it was gorgeously done in its simplistic illustrations and captivating writing. This is a graphic novel that makes me want to research Buddhism more and understand it. And that's exactly what this book should be aiming for. While it's a very simplistic overview of events, it's enough to understand but also make the mind wonder. This two toned coloring of the pages really punctuates the teaching this book has to offer.

The life of Prince Siddhartha to the Awakened One is engaging and interesting. While it's something entirely different knowing this is the story of the founder of Buddhism. I thought it captured his journey well and interpreted it to a understanding for anyone who would read it. A lot of research went into this, which is obvious, but instead of something heavy to try and teach the beginning - it's done in a way that is captivating.

Overall, Enlightened by Sachi Ediriweera is one that everyone should read. As I am ignorant in the teachings and history of Buddhism, this graphic novel really helped me understand how it was began. I loved the art work and the story telling. For those who want to broaden their minds and expose themselves to more, I'd definitely put this on your list.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account