Review Detail

4.7 5
Young Adult Fiction 333
This book made me fall in love with fairy-tale stories all over again!
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I do love my fairy-tale stories and when I come across a retelling of not one fairy-tale, but a few of my favorites all entwined into one book - it is a must read for me! And because of that, I am going to have high expectations for it - and I'm happy to say, Alethea Kontis delivered an exceptional and enticing whimsical tale that swept me off my feet!

For me, this story flowed quickly and beautifully... I really enjoyed the way Kontis was able to string so many fairy-tales together... The Frog Prince, Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Peter Pan, Jack and the Beanstalk... while keeping the story going with what I would traditionally expect - the lessons to be learned, unforgettable characters, good versus evil and the innocence of true love.

I loved all of the characters, even the 'evil' ones, lol! Their descriptions and personalities all shined through enough to make them individually memorable - and that was so important being that there were so many to keep track of. I applaud Kontis for being able to pull this off.

Sunday is the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter, which means, that she will possess great magical powers and destined for many good things. She is the youngest of 10 in the Woodcutter family, who loves to write stories, but limits herself to only writing about her family in fear of writing new stories that eventually come true... Sunday befriends Grumble, The Frog, and her three kisses turns him back into a man, Prince Rumbold. Unbeknownst to Sunday, the Prince returns home to gather his strength and creates a plan to meet Sunday again, and have her fall in love with him for his true self. And the quest begins with balls, fairy godmothers and dark magic.

It does help if you are familiar with the more popular original tales. And even though the ending is somewhat predictable, it did not keep me from reading this book in one night.
If you truly believe in fairy-tales, this is definitely a book for you!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
November 08, 2013
Sometimes, I just want a nice, predictable ending. I think I'll do this one on audio so I can listen at work.
1 results - showing 1 - 1