Review Detail

4.7 17
A note from the author
I'm not going to rate my own book because I'm biased and that wouldn't be fair to potential readers looking for genuine reviews. But I will take this opportunity to share my inspiration for writing Emerge: The Awakening. I am an avid reader of all things fantasy and I have a special love for the Young Adult genre in particular. BUT…there are so few books out there that truly represent a good example of a strong young woman to YA readers. 

As a reader, I grew frustrated with female leads who were either incredibly weak without their strong male counterparts, or they were the complete opposite as strong, frustratingly stubborn and jaded girls with their love interests trailing along behind them as a liability, offering little to the story.

I wondered where was the BALANCE? Where was the example of equality and actual, for real, girl power? So I wrote Emerge. Allie's story has morphed over the years, but that single message of real strength has always remained the same. Book one is about Allie as she struggles to accept the immortality she never expected or wanted. Behind the veil of exciting supernatural themes, Emerge is a story about a strong, stubborn young woman fighting to maintain her identity when everyone around her expects her to do things their way. Allie is meant to be a shining example of that real girl, with flaws and insecurities, while Aidan is meant to be her equal in every way. This is not a story about an extraordinary girl and the boy who loves her. It is about showing young readers what equality and strength looks like.
Good Points
My favorite part of Emerge is the "realistic" fantasy. I've always wanted the supernatural elements to be as real as possible, so that Allie's world fits right into the world we know and understand.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account