N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by Amanda

Dreamland is a sad, but close to life book. Excuse me if some of my information is wrong, but I read this last winter. I read some of the reviews and I don't think they explained the entire picture of the tragic tale.

Caitlin is a young woman, deciding who to be, what to do with her life. After a terrible problem regarding her runaway sister (which goes off with a boyfriend and begins work on a Jerry Springer-esque TV show), Caitlin is left out of the family. She wants to do something to get attention back. Caitlin meets a dredlocked boy named Rogerson Biscoe. Her friends believe he is a druggie. It turns out that he is. Rogerson drags Caitlin into his dangerous life of drug trafficking, drinking, partying, and sexual behavior. He even gets her use drugs. Being the trafficker that he is, Rogerson even provides her with free drugs. Rogerson takes her to hang out with his "hazed" friends, who she later takes for her own. However, this is at his own luxury. Rogerson abuses Caitlin. Just as in most relationships like these, she says she loves him and won't tell others about the problems. He is "important" to her. Rogerson denounces Caitlin all the time with harsh words and his beating. He is an awful person. At this time, Caitlin ditches her other life.

Eventually, Rogerson is caught. Caitlin still must "do the time" for taking drugs, but also heals from the abusive relationship. If you want an inside look into an abusive relationship, read this novel. It is will help you make the right decisions.

I liked this novel because of the reality and the boundaries it crossed. Most books won't get into such topics. Sarah Dessen has the ability to show how awful it is and help others. She is one of my favorite authors.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account