Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
First Impressions: Alright, well I had heard a zillion amazing things being said about Daughter of Smoke and Bone, so it went high up on my never-ending To-Be Read list. But, as usual, I had to get through about 10 other books first before I could start reading this book. So I was thrilled when I was finally able to sit down and cuddle up with this book. I love the cover art, too!

First 50 Pages: It was intense and I could not put it down! I love long lengthy books and lately I haven’t read too many really good, long books. It seems like so many YA books are becoming shorter and shorter in length, which is a disappointment. At 432 pages, I felt like my time was well spent by reading this book. However, once again the author decided to use some very strange, unique names for her characters. It took me a while to get use to all of the characters and made it difficult for me to connect to them at first. I really wish this new trend would end!

Characters & Plot: At its core, Daughter of Smoke and Bone is just another paranormal YA book. It has all of the right elements to make it an excellent, paranormal book. Nowadays, there are SO many of these kinds of books (not that I mind) that it makes it hard to decide which book you should buy when you are browsing at the bookstore.

What makes this book different from all of the rest? So many reasons! First, it has an amazing mix of romance, supernatural elements, fantastical beasts not commonly found in other books, and little twists and turns with every page that is flipped. Second, only Laini Taylor can pull of having demons and angels be the most exciting characters. I usually can’t stand books with angels because they are, well, boring most of the time. Laini creates angels that are completely out of the ordinary and mixes their personalities with a hint of mythology. The way she explains these characters might even tick some people off and create a bit of controversy. It wouldn’t surprise me if certain groups attempted to get this book banned.

And what can I say? Karou is now one of my all-time favorite female characters. She is strong, self-assured, and I love how she doesn’t need to be “saved.” My feminist side is gleaming with pride for this character. It’s about time an author decided that a woman can play rough with the boys. And win!

Style of Writing: Imaginative is the only word that comes to my mind. Highly imaginative and creative. I admire Laini Taylor because she is truly a fantastic author. Her writing style isn’t confusing and is easily followed, but it’s not simple. That is a hard trait to pull off well. Laini Taylor makes it look easy!

Final Thoughts: Another must-read, must-have book. While the main theme that runs through this book is hope, all I could feel was an annoyance and dread upon reaching the final pages. I didn’t want this book to end and then have to wait, who knows how long, for the next addition. It was that good and I highly, highly recommend picking up this book. It will appeal to young and older readers equally. This is one of the best paranormal books I have read all year!
Good Points
everything!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account