N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I Loved:

This was a fast-paced, fun thrill ride with a nice touch of romance near the end. I really loved the story itself. The plot kept me interested and engaged, and I liked Audrey enough to care about her outcome. The world-building is pretty solid, and I was fascinated by the Harrowers and the Guardians. I really liked many of the secondary characters, especially Gideon, Tink, and Leon. The mysteries and secrets are big enough to sustain the plot, and I was happily plowing through the story trying to find the answers. I found myself completely engrossed in the story from the first page and couldn't read fast enough.

What Left Me Wanting More:

I wanted more details about the Guardians and how they're set up. We get some near the end of the book, but I still don't have a clear picture of how a calling works, and why some get called and some don't. I also became very frustrated with the whole "there's a terrible danger out there that directly affects Audrey but no one is going to tell her about it because ignorance will keep her safe" trope. Time and time again, Audrey asks what's wrong and her mom and Leon tell her "it's none of your business" or "nothing for you to worry about." Even when Audrey has her first encounter with the danger, they still refuse to give her a single detail. It began to feel like a deliberate plot device to stretch Audrey's ignorance out long enough to continue to put her in danger, and I wanted to just smack her mom and Leon for it.

Final Verdict:

This is a fast-paced, entertaining story that is a solid addition to the superhero genre. I think most readers will really enjoy it.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account