Review Detail

2.9 6
Young Adult Fiction 238
Good start and ending, with a slow middle and some issues.
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I liked the premise a lot, the character of Vanessa, and being in the dance world. However, I felt like there were some pacing issues, things skimmed over, and others that were elaborated too much. But the beginning kept me engaged, and after a somewhat slow middle, the ending griped me again until the last page. I will for sure read the next book when it comes out even if I don't grab on release day.
The ballet in this one seemed realistic as far as the setting, terms used, and the school. There is a paranormal aspect for Vanessa and select others, but as far as the paranormal goes, it is set up well and isn't too much of a stretch. Although Vanessa said more than once while she likes dance, she is mostly at this elite school for her sister. I find this to be a bit of a stretch because you couldn't be as good as she is without a pretty intense love for ballet at the end of the day, but I get where it is coming from.
I wasn't much a fan of the romance Zep never really sat right with me, and I think that Vanessa should have paid more attention to the feelings of unease or that something wasn't quite right with him. But I get the appeal, he is older, more mature, good looking, a good dancer, and he showed interest in her.
I was more rooting for the underdog, Justin. Not that it was really a love triangle, he was just there, and I liked him more than I ever did Zep.
The ending wrapped up things okay, but there are still lots of other questions that need to be answered in the sequel.

Bottom Line: Good start and ending, with a slow middle and some issues.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account