Review Detail

4.7 2
The perfect book for when you need a little absurdity in your life.
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I must be completely honest right up front – I’m a huge fan of Gail Carriger’s. I adored her Parasol Protectorate series. It was one of the most inventive and funny fantasy series I have read in a long, long time. When she started the Finishing School series, she became even more inventive and I’m glad to say the second book continues in the same fashion. This book is laugh out loud in public totally embarrassing yourself funny in places.

Sophronia is still a wonderful protagonist. She is daring, loyal and just a little too curious for her own good. All the the things you want in a main character. The supporting cast is full of insanely interesting characters, especially if you have read the Parasol Protectorate series. There is lots of lovely little spots of foreshadowing that will keep fans of that series delighted. Also, who can resist a 10 year old Genevieve ‘Vieve’ Lefoux? She almost deserves her own series of books. Also, I challenge anyone to read these books and not want their very own Bumbersnoot.

In this book Sophronia grows up a little and takes her first steps into adulthood, especially where the opposite sex is involved. This was handled beautifully, with just the right amount of angst and humour. It will be interesting to see how Sophronia handles being noticed by the opposite sex as the series continues. Somehow I doubt she will do it the conventional way.

This book is just perfect when you need a little absurdity in your life and break from the sometimes way too serious fantasy genre. I can’t wait for the next book to be released.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account