Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
While I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I was equally frustrated by it. Marketed as a new duology set in the world of His Fair Assassin, readers new to LaFevers should be able to jump into Sybella and Genevieve’s story with ease. That was not the case for me. I spent the first half of the book utterly confused and utterly fascinated. I loved this book and these characters, but new readers should definitely begin with Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin book 1) before attempting this new duology. Fans of LaFevers will be able to jump right into the story as a continuation of the series.

As a new reader, I found Sybella and Genevieve’s characters difficult to separate in the beginning, although I quickly became addicted to Genevieve’s half of the story. She is a new character for this series, so I was able to connect with her in a way I couldn’t do with Sybella. Unfortunately, her side of the story slowed the pacing for me. Fans of LaFevers will likely be drawn to Sybella’s story as a returning character and fan favorite.

With quickly alternating points of view, it took me a while to get to know these characters as individuals. But this rich dark historical fantasy world of sleeper assassins, court intrigue and daughters of death, grabbed me (after a somewhat slow start) and refused to let go. As much as I wanted to stop reading and pick up Grave Mercy instead, I could not put it down.

Lafevers is a new favorite for me. With a careful hand, she creates a perfect blend of the historical fiction of the French court with the wild fantasy elements of kickass assassin nuns and daughters of death. (Who doesn't want to read that?)

Don’t miss this beautiful duology, just be sure to start with the original trilogy first. I can’t wait to dive back into this world again with His Fair Assassin while I’m waiting on the sequel!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account