Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I wasn’t sure what to expect going into this book. I had heard it was political and had lots of dragons. That alone made me want to read it.

The beginning was a little slow for me to get into. I think a map with all the islands, the people, and a guide for dragons would be helpful. There was a lot to pay attention to and I spent a lot of time just trying to remember everything.

But the book pace really picked up about halfway through. Mira can be tough to like at first. She’s very insecure (I blame her mom) and often times thinks that she’s pretty, but not smart or strong. I found her anxiety to be almost refreshing. I don’t think I’ve seen that a lot with fantasy books. Mira is a counter which I can relate to. I often times count, even when I don’t want to. It’s a way to control the situation and relax at the same time. I liked Mira a lot more after she was in the pit for awhile. She seemed to find an inner strength and will to survive.

While this is a fantasy, I found that certain things related to us, especially now. The Mira Treaty ensured that everyone from all islands was created equal. But the Luminary Council wanted separation. Basically a ban on immigration. They wanted each group to stick to their own islands and Mira was supposed to be the one to deliver that news. She is the “Hopebearer” and expected to do as she is told by the council to help them.

The time spent in the Pit was the most interesting to me. I found that I really liked the group of friends Mira made there. Gerel, Aaru, Chendra, and Titra, though one isn’t what they seem. Mira puts her faith in trusting them and doesn’t want to leave without freeing them, too. While in the Pit, something happens to Mira that no one understands. Not even Mira herself.

Another thing that endeared me to Mira was her love for the dragons. I breed reptiles, so this was something that stood out to me. She didn’t see them as something to fear, but as something to love and protect. Having a pet dragon is a dream for most reptile keepers.

Overall, I really loved this book and gave it 4 1/2 stars. It’s a great start and I’m looking forward to what the trilogy brings.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss+ for review. This in no way influenced my review of the book.
Good Points
Main character with anxiety.
Dragons
A bit political with some revolution.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account