Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I read Evernight when the story first came out and stayed with it, but the story just kind of dwindled for me. I don’t know if it was semi-crazy spins the book took, the characters or what - but there was always something there that kept me from thoroughly enjoying the book the way a girl should enjoy her books. However, one thing that stayed consistent for me throughout the series was my extreme like for Balthazar. I’m almost certain he’s one of the only reasons I continued the series, so it shouldn’t be a surprise that I was more than a little eager to read this book - and I definitely was not disappointed.

Reading Balthazar, I soon discovered that it wasn’t just my draw to this character that stayed consistent… it was the character, Balthazar, himself. Actually, I can say the same thing about our leading lady, Skye, too. This may sound a little strange, but both characters surprised me with their common sense and rational thinking. Things were thought through before reacting, feelings were admitted and dealt with rationally, and there was never a moment where I thought one of them made a horrendous decision “just because.”

The hook of the story also, for lack of better terms, hooked me almost from the very beginning and never let me down. Obviously, there are several characters from the Evernight series brought over to this story. I don’t think you need to read the Evernight series to understand what’s going on in this book as everything that you need to know is pretty much told in this book. Unlike the Evernight series, this story is told in third-person, so you’re never left wondering how either of the main characters are feeling or what they’re thinking - it’s all there.

Claudia Gray’s writing makes reading her novels very easy and makes for a deceptively quick read, though never lacking details and plot. I think the only thing that confused me was that I thought this was supposed to be just a stand-alone book but the ending sort of sets it up to where it could be more. Definitely not complaining if it is, though!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account