Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I was very much looking forward to Babe in Boyland for several reasons. Number one being journalism. As the former Editor-in-Chief of my high school newspaper, I am total newspaper geek. Seriously. How could I not be? And high school newspapers are almost never featured in YA books. Why is that? Anyway, the second reason – girl undercover at a boy’s boarding school. Hello, awesome. Undercover, boys, and boarding school. Three of my favourite things. Let me just say – Jody Gehrman did not let me down. I loved Babe in Boyland!

It was nice to finally see a self-confident main character. So many girls have awkward, clumsy, self-concious protagonists, and while that description totally defines me, it’s nice to read about a girl who doesn’t look in the mirror and want to shudder. I loved her friends, Chloe and Darby, and I loved Natalie’s observations about them and the way they behaved in front of boys. In fact, all of Natalie’s observations throughout the book really struck me. It’s strange to consider things from a boy’s point of view.

There were a lot of elements in Babe in Boyland that reminded me of other things – She’s the Man, Never Been Kissed, The Lioness Quartet, etc. It really was an awesome combination of interesting ideas and I feel like the author put it together in a great way with a lot of depth.

Overall, I definitely recommend Babe in Boyland. I had a lot of fun reading Babe in Boyland and I thought it about it for a while after finishing. In fact, I read Babe in Boyland originally on my kindle, but I liked it so much I needed to buy a copy of the hardcover. So yes – check it out.

Review originally posted on my blog http://hobbitsies.net/2011/04/babe-in-boyland-by-judy-gehrman/
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account