Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Id heard so much talk about Avalon High that I figured it was high time I read it. I was a little leery after all, there are *so* many re-tellings of the King Arthur tale that its hard for one to stand out but Im very pleased with this one. Besides, told in Cabots patented plucky-quirky-girl-voice, you know its going to be fun (and happily, Ellie isnt as full of self-doubt as some other Cabot heroines).

Ellie (who was named by her Medievalist parents after Lady Elaine, aka The Lady of Shalott, aka the chick who went to a watery death when Lancelot picked Guinevere over her) is dragged off to live in Annapolis while her parents take a sabbatical (her mother to write a book on The Lady of Shalott and her father to write a book on a rusty old sword).

At first, the only saving grace is that their temporary home has a pool. Ellie *loves* to float around in it all day, but that pastime comes to an end (mostly) once school starts up again. Ellies new alma mater is Avalon High and one particular guy catches her eye right away. To Ellies surprise, she also seems to have somewhat caught his, even though Will (thats the heartthrobs name) already has a perky blonde girlfriend named Jenny.

But something strange is going on at Avalon High and, in particular, with Will, Jenny, and Wills best friend Lance. Then theres Mr. Morton, the English teacher, who seems determined to throw Ellie and Lance together. Why would a teacher even care about the love lives of his students? And whats the deal with Marco, Wills stepbrother?

Ellie keeps getting dragged into the middle of things, even though Mr. Morton and Marco keep dismissing her by telling her that her part in things makes no difference anymore. After all, Lady Elaine isnt even supposed to know Arthur&

Even though Ellie is finding it hard to believe, all evidence seems to point to the fact that Will (whos first name is actually Arthur) is King Arthur reborn. Lance is Lancelot, the fellow who is doomed to betray his best friend by falling in love with Guinevere (aka Jenny). And Marco? Historically, evil half-brother Mordred caused the downfall of Arthur.

The group Mr. Morton belongs to, The Order of the Bear, has been watching out for the return of Arthur over all these years. If Will succeeds and lives on, he could bring in a new golden age of peace. If he doesnt&its the dark ages all over again.

I absolutely love the twist that occurs with Ellies character and Im not going to give it away here since you need to discover it for yourself. There are lots of clues in the book, so make sure you pay attention as you read because it is Ellies true nature and not the nature of her namesake that will save the day in the end.

Will is also a great character. Hes almost too good to be true, but hey, he is King Arthur, after all. Though Jenny and Lance are the least developed characters, theyre also interesting in their own right and not always exactly what you would expect. Even Marco isnt totally evil (much like Mordred); hes just got a lot of baggage.

Recommended for readers aged 12 and up. Theres enough romance to keep any girl happy and enough courtly intrigue to keep just about anyone turning the pages. Shoot, if I hadnt already promised this one to my niece (she begged), Id be keeping it for myself.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account