Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
If you're on Twitter, I'm sure you've read alot about the YA dystopia ASHES. I knew I had to grab a copy of this book especially when I heard how amazing it was. Add a frightening premise in a world that could very well be our own. Plus, Egmont is the publisher. If you know by now, Egmont is one of my favorite publishers. I was able to get an ebook galley from Netgalley. Let’s just say this book doesn’t disappoint.

We start out with Alex on a mountain waiting to make peace with the death of her parents. She also refuses any more treatments for her brain tumor. Then Ellie, a smart mouth eight year old, and her grandfather come upon Alex right when the electromagnet wave hits. Alex finds something happens to her. Her lost of smell comes back. Plus not only can she smell but she can smell the emotions of people around her. Adults drop dead while the teens and kids seem to become animalistic to the point of becoming zombie like.

What I love about this story is it’s not the usual zombie tale. No, this one doesn’t follow any rules. For one thing Bick isn’t afraid to have her characters go to hell and back. And believe me this new world is hell. There are some very intense scenes that would give Stephen King a run for his money. But the beauty of this story is how the little details strengthen the storyline. And the whole premise of an electromagnet wave tampering with someone’s brain in a horrific way is very plausible which makes this story even more terrifying and wonderful.

There’s scenes that make you squirm yet also make you afraid to stop reading. A true storyteller is able to do this to a reader. And Bick, like King, is a master of this.

The cliffhanger ending is totally wow worthy. And yes, there’s more to Alex’s tale. This is book one of a trilogy. If you loved The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan, you’ll love this story. I predict this will be a hot Fall YA book. Run, don’t walk to pick up this scary, creepy, but very amazing read. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed.
Good Points
Where do I start? Great details throughout story.
The whole idea that EMP can either kill you or change you into something more primeval, I feel is very believable.
Really loved the characters and wanted to follow them.
Has a Stephen King feel which to me equals an amazing storyteller
Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
February 19, 2012
I really want to read this! Someone recommended it to me last week and there is a huge waiting list at my local library. Your review got me psyched to work my way up the list.
1 results - showing 1 - 1