Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I was a huge fan of SOMETHING STRANGE AND DEADLY and couldn't wait to review the sequel! This novel has tons to love: steampunk(check out those zombie zappers!), romance, lush Parisian setting, and one amazing voice! If the voice sucks me in? I'm hooked.

Eleanor Fitt is left in Philadelphia after Daniel leaves to go to Paris with the other Spirit-Hunters. She's down on herself and has lost just about everything. This includes her hand and the love of her life. Then she's prompted to go to Paris on a quest to find Marcus, the one who killed her brother. On the ship she encounters a demon who knew her brother and who also can help her with a power that is within her. What happens next is a wild ride through Paris and unexpected encounters with the dead.

What worked for me had to be the amazing voice that grabs the reader and won't let go. Eleanor's first glimpse of Paris is told in such a way that you feel that you're right there. The details of the city, Spirit-hunters, and the dead adds to the wonder of this story.

I have to admit I liked Oliver, the mysterious demon, who knew Eleanor's brother. I sense Oliver and her brother were very close. There's a hint that this relationship was much more. Can't wait to see what is revealed in the next book!
The chemistry between Eleanor and Oliver was intense but not in a love interest type of way but rather as two individuals that need each other. It's kind of like a like/hate relationship. At times Oliver comes across as a reluctant demon type of genie.

Now Daniel at first came off to me as snobbish. I'm not sure if this was more of a front to show his true feelings. Little by little their relationship shows it's true colors. You can't help but hope both Eleanor and Daniel will not be so proud and admit their true feelings.

I love that zombie-gun that kind of reminded me of a steampunk Ghost-hunters(only in this case zombie)electrical gun. The other little touches include a few Parisians that aren't all they seem to be.

The revelation kind of surprised me and the final climax leads up to a hook that you can't help but know will culminate into a grand finale to this series.

Lush Victorian Parisian setting with characters you can't help but care about. You'll want to invest time knowing them. Add a dash of romance, mystery, suspense, and horror. A great combo for fans of the first book in this series and for those who love zombie tales.
Good Points
Victorian Age meets Zombie hunters
Setting is in Paris!
Great dialogue
Love the voice
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account