Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Sisterly Perspective

'She's the Liar' by Alison Cherry is about sisters Abby and Sydney and their time together at Brookside Academy. Abby, who has decided to rebrand herself as 'Abbi' and be a newer, cooler version of herself upon entering sixth grade, comes to learn that with her newfound role comes heartache. Eighth grader and big sister Sydney is not making Abbi's life easy. Not only is Sydney the head of The Committee (which basically makes her the student body president, or Brookside's version of it), she has the power to make decisions that govern everyone, and make Abbi terribly upset with the outcomes. When Abbi dares to stand up to her sister, Sydney is taken aback and decides to deal with the issue the only way she knows how – shutting Abbi down, just as she shuts down everyone else with what seems to be her power-hungry decisions.

The first half of the book tells Abbi's side of the story. It shows how she deals with her sister's power plays, and how she tries to take matters into her own hands and bring the student body around to support her instead of her sister. The second half of the book tells Sydney's side of it. Alison Cherry does an amazing job of this, as readers will likely not see how anything Sydney can show of herself in the second half can make her actions okay. But Sydney does indeed have her own side for readers to learn about, and what it is comes across more surprising than one might expect. Her power-hungry actions and their consequences are more than just that, but she needs to make Abbi see this. The trouble is that Abbi has taken it upon herself to fight to join The Committee and make change, including undermining her sister. Figuring out how to thwart Abbi's attempts before Abbi finds out the truth about Sydney is all Sydney can think to do, but the truth may come out anyway.

An intriguing look at how perspectives can truly shape the way one sees others and also themselves, 'She's the Liar' is a quick and entertaining read that will make readers think long and hard about their own actions. Definitely recommended!

Good Points
An intriguing look at how perspectives can truly shape the way one sees others and also themselves, 'She's the Liar' is a quick and entertaining read that will make readers think long and hard about their own actions.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Every Stolen Breath
The Swarm is unrecognizable, untraceable, and unpredictable—random attacks on the...

0.0 (0)
Cursed Beauty
Aurora Rose Brynhild is out of time. ...

0.0 (0)
The C Word
Addison: Secrets have a way of getting out....

0.0 (0)
Aphelion
Ky isn’t your typical seventeen-year-old girl. She's an alien hunter.Ky...

0.0 (0)
Announcing Trouble
I may know everything there is to know about baseball,...

0.0 (0)
Seneca Lake
It's 1944, and high school senior Meg Michaels has always...

0.0 (0)
Freshman Witch
Of course, magic is real. Everybody knows that. ...

0.0 (0)
Sarai and The Around The World Fair
When Sarai outgrows her bike, she worries she'll never get...

0.0 (0)
Of Beast and Beauty
7 vengeful sisters 7 fairytale kingdoms 7 daughters...

0.0 (0)
The Pepper Party Picks The Perfect Pet (The Pepper Party, #1)
Meet the Peppers. Funny runs in the family....

0.0 (0)
Dylan’s parents were taken from her in a terrible crash...

0.0 (0)
Dirt
Things are hard for eleven-year-old Yonder. Her mother died and...

0.0 (0)
Gen One
Generations after robots conquered Earth, the remaining population survives in...

0.0 (0)
Darknessontheedgeoftown.jpg
Chief Jim Hopper reveals long-awaited secrets to Eleven about his...

0.0 (0)
SupermanDawnbreaker.jpg
When the dawn breaks, a hero rises. ...

0.0 (0)
Moon Water: A Novel
Set in the Blue Ridge Mountains during the summer of...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Rated

"RATED follows six teens in alternating points-of-view as they navigate a dystopian future. In this society, your life is dictated..."
This Time Will Be Different

"THIS TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT is an engaging YA contemporary with strong underlying messages about racism and social activism. With..."
Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)

"SHATTER THE SKY follows, Maren, who has been raised in a small mountain town. She and her girlfriend, Kaia, have..."
Once & Future (Once & Future, #1)

"Capetta and McCarthy have crafted a fantastic novel weaving the legend of King Arthur with the majesty of space in..."
White Rabbit

"TW: sexual assault, rape, homophobia, descriptions of violence, murder, drug use. White Rabbit is going to be the..."
Drum Roll, Please

"Even though Melly was forced to go to Camp Rockaway, it's just the escape she needs. Her parents are getting..."
White Rabbit

"Rufus just wants one day of semi-fun, something he hasn’t had since his ex-boyfriend, Sebastian, wrecked his heart. But then,..."
Autoboyography

"Do you have tissues? No? Then put this book down and get some, you are going to need them! This..."
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

"What can I say that hasn't already been said about this magnificent book? The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue..."

" The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue is a remarkable, witty, and outstanding adventure..."

"THE GENTLEMAN’S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE follows Henry “Monty” Montague as he takes his grand tour across Europe with..."
Guyliner

"Guyliner by J. Leigh Bailey The Story: When a new guy moves to the small town of Green Vale,..."
Our Own Private Universe

"Fifteen-year-old Aki Simon is on a summer mission trip in Mexico with other members of her congregation—including her older brother..."
Our Own Private Universe

"What I Loved: It’s a truth universally acknowledged that modern teens are very political. Another truth: religious people are very..."
Princess Princess Ever After

"Sadie doesn’t enjoy being locked in a tower, but she’s also tired of princes coming (and failing) to rescue her...."
No Holding Back

"This was one of my most anticipated reads because I truly loved Nathan and Preston since No Love Allowed and..."
Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit

"What I Loved: GEORGIA PEACHES AND OTHER FORBIDDEN FRUIT by Jaye Robin Brown is a sweet but complicated love..."
As I Descended

"I knew going in that this was a modern take on Macbeth and I was excited for it. I did..."
As I Descended

"Power couple Maria and Lily have their sights set on a clear future: attending Stanford together, away from their boarding..."
You Know Me Well

"What I Loved: YOU KNOW ME WELL by Nina LaCour and David Levithan is an incredible story about the..."