Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Touching and tender

Benjamin Alire Sáenz’s newest novel is an endearing story about the different types of families and what it means to belong and to be loved. The inexplicable Logic of My Life is a beautiful and touching novel that made me question everything I had ever thought about my own family and the relationships I have with those closest to me.

The novel follows Salvador Silva in his senior year of high school and how the familiar and ordered world he has always known is slowly changing. Sal’s adoptive gay father is starting to date once more, his loving Mexican-American grandmother is in the final stages of a dire illness, and his best friend Samantha is struggling with her flighty and irresponsible mother. The stress is getting to Sal and suddenly he is throwing punches, questioning everything, and feels as though he is becoming more and more like the birth father he never met. This is the year Sal discovers who he really is and where he fits into the family he has created for himself.

I adored Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, Sáenz’s most popular novel, and when I found out that Sáenz had written another YA book, I knew it would be just as tender and sweet as Ari and Dante’s story. Sáenz has this way of getting into a teenager’s head and looking at life – the anxiety of change, the questions of belonging – through their eyes. There is something just so emphatically real about Sáenz’s writing, how his words and the images he paints expresses such intense feelings within the reader. Maybe this is why it is so easy to read his work and devour a 464 page novel in a matter of days. His writing is like a stream of consciousness; it flows and transforms and pierces the reader’s heart.

Sal is perhaps one of the most compassionate and benevolent protagonists I have read in YA fiction. I connected with him almost immediately and really felt for him. His relationship with his father was the driving force of the novel, at least for me. I can count on one hand the amount of novels I have read which feature a positive and loving relationship between fathers and sons, and The Inexplicable Logic is by far the best of them. Sal and Vicente’s relationship is so beautiful and affectionate, it brought tears to my eyes many times. Think Gilmore Girls but with men (minus the constant stream of pop culture references and banter). Sal and Vicente are father and son, but friends, too. It is so heartening to see this type of relationship celebrated in YA fiction, especially in a world where men are told to withhold their emotions.

I also admired the friendship between Sal and Sam. It is not often one reads a book with such intense platonic love between men and women, and I am very thankful to Sáenz for going in this direction. As rare as a sweet relationship between father and son is, platonic friendship between a girl and a boy is even rarer, primarily in YA fiction where there is so much pressure on authors to develop a romance. Sal and Sam are always there for one another and talk about such personal issues with no judgement or mockery. A wonderful depiction of a healthy and stable friendship.

As with all Benjamin Alire Sáenz novels, the characters are the strongest element of the book and the plot is rather simple. That does not take away from my enjoyment of the text; if anything, it enhances it. The straightforward storyline gave way to outstanding and highly developed characterisation. The plot essentially follows Sal through one year of his life and all the anxiety that comes with senior year and one’s life irrevocably changing. Sal struggles with issues of belonging, bullying, as well as the all-pervading threat of cancer. It is just Sal’s life, and, paired with Sáenz’s beautiful writing, somehow the story develops from the dictation of the life of a simple boy, to an intense, emotion-filled book about love, family and change.

The Inexplicable Logic of My Life tore my heart out. It is such an easy novel to read, and yet it feels heavy when you are reading it. I loved every moment of this book, even the parts where I cried. Benjamin Alire Sáenz’s novels always touch me in some way, but The Inexplicable Logic did something irreversible to my emotions.

Good Points
Read my other reviews: thebookcorps.wordpress.com
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Little Girl Who Wanted to be Big
The internet’s “World’s Best Father," award-winning photographer Dave Engledow, follows...

0.0 (0)
The Diamond and the Boy
Told in a unique dual-narrative format, The Diamond and the...

0.0 (0)
Little Penguin Stays Awake
A charming companion to Little Penguin Gets the Hiccups and...

0.0 (0)
Merry Christmas, Little One
Christmas comes but once a year - Time...

0.0 (0)
Hi-Five Animals
What's the best way to say hello to anyone you...

0.0 (0)
The Three Little Superpigs
After defeating the Big Bad Wolf, the Three Little Superpigs...

0.0 (0)
Twice Dead
Naya, the daughter of a sea merchant captain, nervously undertakes...

0.0 (0)
I, Sofia-Elisabete, Love Child of Colonel Fitzwilliam: A Perfect World in the Moon
In 1815, a 5-year-old girl searches for Utopia in a...

0.0 (0)
The Way I Used to Be
The main character Eden is raped by her brother's best...

0.0 (0)
The Agony House
Denise Farber has just moved back to New Orleans with...

0.0 (0)
PortalsByAnnChristy.jpg
The world sees the portals as an invasion. For Lysa,...

0.0 (0)
ONE RULE. DON'T FALL FOR THE BAD BOY. Sixteen-year-old Jasmine...

0.0 (0)
The Island of Monsters (Spirit Hunters #2)
The perfect spooky read for Halloween, this pulse-pounding adventure will...

0.0 (0)
Four Three Two One
Golden “Go” Jennings wasn’t supposed to be on Bus 21...

0.0 (0)
The Lines We Cross
Michael likes to hang out with his friends and play...

0.0 (0)
Max Tilt: 80 Days or Die
When thirteen-year-old Max Tilt stumbled across his great-great-great-grandfather Jules Verne’s...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Little Girl Who Wanted to be Big

"Dave Engledow does it again with THE LITTLE GIRL WHO WANTED TO BE BIG. All the little girl wants to..."
Little Penguin Stays Awake

"All Little Penguin wants to do his fly like all of the other birds. His only hope is wishing on..."
Merry Christmas, Little One

"MERRY CHRISTMAS, LITTLE ONE is a fun, interactive story about Christmas time and snowmen. "Christmas comes but once a year..."
Hi-Five Animals

"HI-FIVE ANIMALS is exactly as it sounds. You Hi-Five all of the animals! The illustrations are adorable with close up..."
The Three Little Superpigs

"What happens after the Three Little Pigs put the Wolf in jail? Well, he plots his revenge of course! THE..."
The Island of Monsters (Spirit Hunters #2)

"Harper moved to Washington, D.C. with her family and found out about her paranormal abilities in Spirit Hunters. She has..."
Missing Pieces (Hello Neighbor #1)

"Nicky's family moves around a lot, and he gets tired of having to adjust to new towns, new schools, and..."
The Collectors

"Giovanni lives in New York City with his mother, who is an opera singer. His father was a set designer,..."
Max Tilt: 80 Days or Die

"After finding an enormous treasure with his cousin Alex, Max's family has built a big new house and is enjoying..."
Sea Prayer

"This fictional picture book, inspired by the tragic death of three-year-old Alan Kurdi's tragic death on a Turkish beach, follows..."
My Father's Words

"When Fiona and Finn's father, a psychologist, is killed in a car accident, the children and their mother (who is..."
The Steeplechase Secret (Free Rein)

"Zoe and her family have moved to Bright Field Stables from California. Her mother is from the small island in..."
Fuzzy Freaks Out (Class Pets #3)

"Fuzzy and the other pets in Miss Wills' class 5-B are getting ready for Halloween. Fuzzy in particular is trying..."
Grow Up, David

"GROW UP, DAVID is all about having a sibling. David's brother is the typical older brother who doesn't want David..."
Everlasting Nora

"Nora and her mother have been living in her father's family mausoleum after they lost their home, and her father,..."
Hurricane Katrina Rescue (Ranger in Time #8)

"Ranger, a failed rescue dog (squirrels are so distracting!), has a first aid kit that sends him through time to..."
Out of Left Field

"Ten-year-old Katy is a fantastic pitcher, so great that a local Little League coach encourages her to sign up for..."
Otherwise Known as Possum

"LizBetty Porter doesn't want to be called by her name-- she wants to be called Possum, which is what her..."
Air Raid Search and Rescue (Soldier Dogs #1)

" Marcus and his family have moved to the United Kingdom for his father's job, and are unfortunately..."
Otherwood

"Stuey, his mother, and his grandfather live in a large, old house that has been in the family for generations..."