Young Adult Nonfiction 696
You: The Story
(Updated: May 15, 2023)
Overall rating

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Learning Value

What worked: I'm a huge fan of historicals and YA author Ruta Sepetys. Sepetys's novels are filled with heartfelt emotion with vivid imagery. When I found out her latest book would be a writer's guide to craft, I was beyond excited to read it!

This craft book for writers goes over some of the basics of writing which include such items as plot, character development, and voice. What makes this book stand out has to be Septetys's personal experiences woven throughout. For example, she mentions how important it is to have conflict in your stories and lists the layers. There's also recaps, writing prompts, and stories to uncover.

What I loved about this book has to be how Sepetys shares her own personal stories like her mother(who sounds a lot like my own!) How Sepetys's love of hearing her own family story-like the one about her Lithuanian family history-led to her amazing historical BETWEEN SHADES OF GRAY. I could relate as a child I'd beg my grandparents to share my own Italian and Mexican family stories which later found a way into my own writing.

Very informative insight into writing with reflections from author Ruta Sepetys. Perfect YA writing guide of craft for beginners as well as other writers. YA writing book meets Stephen King's A MEMOIR OF CRAFT.
Good Points
1. Very informative insight into writing
2. Reflections from author Ruta Sepetys
3. YA writing guide of craft
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account

Latest Additions