Review Detail

4.7 2
Young Adult Fiction 371
An Empowering Wonder Woman Origin Story!
(Updated: August 24, 2017)
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Wonder Woman: Warbringer is as wonderful and fierce as you'd expect coming from the amazing creator of the Grisha universe. Leigh Bardugo delivers a fantastic new chapter to one of the world's most beloved heroines and it will even have you adding new friends to your superheroes list!

What I Loved:

I was pleasantly surprised to find that this novel is set partly in the modern world, where technology reigns and yet humans haven't learned from past mistakes. The stark difference between Themyscira and our world is wide, yet they seamlessly clash as Diana and the Warbringer, Alia, are thrown together, setting off on a quest to stop the Warbringer legacy in Alia's blood from bringing more chaos into the world.

As one would expect, Diana is already an amazing force in Wonder Woman: Warbringer, despite not yet being the heroine known in the human world. Fiercely loyal and with dreams to prove herself as a true Amazon warrior, Diana breaks the rules and risks exile in the hopes to somehow stop the oncoming war that Alia is drawing. Diana's point of view was an absolute joy to read about as we see her grow into the heroine she wants to be. However, when she starts to recognize our value thanks to beautiful characters introduced in this novel—to the point that she is willing to FIGHT for us humans, despite how other forces perceive us—it basically had me cheering at the top of my lungs.

Actually, in this book we also get another point of view from an equally amazing heroine! Alia is tied in first place (with Diana) as my favorite for she is smart, brave, and incredibly inspiring. A girl who tries hard to do anything for her brother and the people she loves, yet someone who yearns to be free to do whatever she wants without compromising anyone's safety. I simply LOVE Alia so much and I'm super glad to have met her!

Oh, but I cannot leave without mentioning how much I ADORE the rest of the characters in this book. The dazzling Nim with her love for fashion and Theo with his uncanny ability with technology, even Jason who would pretty much do whatever it takes to protect Alia. Such a splendid cast of characters!

It's truly a dream come true having a YA novel about Wonder Woman written by none other than Leigh Bardugo. I'm positive she did more than justice to Diana's story and if there's one author who I would trust Wonder Woman's origin story with, it would be her. Leigh Bardugo's writing is always rich and powerful, and you can see it highly reflected in this DC Icons novel.

Final Verdict:

Wonder Woman: Warbringer is fantastically diverse and entertaining, it shows the points of view from two heroines of different worlds, and reading about their fights, their hopes, and their dreams, surprisingly left me with tears of joy running down my face. It's a truly wonderful gem of a book and new and old fans alike of Wonder Woman are in for an empowering treat!
Good Points
Wonder Woman! Leigh Bardugo! Of course it's good. ;)
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account